Falcon

aligarysmom

Songster
Mar 14, 2018
Oregon
last summer a falcon had something large feathered animal in the neighbors front yard. A few days ago my girls are sounding the alarm at this falcon in the backyard. On Monday I heard the alarm which I always respond to because I don’t know if I can do anything except shoot whatever is coming after them. I walk out and my chickens weren’t under cover but standing on the concrete slab in the backyard. While I’m standing there, the falcon swoops down, sees me and flies the other way. I know he won’t be able to take off with a full sized chicken. But he could come down get ahold of one and start eating. I don’t want to leave them in their run but I’m concerned I could start loosing chickens.

He was back in the neighbors yard raiding either a jays nest or squirrels and the crows were yelling as well.

You do have a problem on your hands without an easy solution. Only thing that I read the deters such, are a certain kind of flying kite on a tall pole that resembles a hawk or something similar. (eagle) I read it in a thread a while back and that thread has not popped up in some time. Difficult to find trying to search back soo many posts. The kite was priced at about $40 or more, and the poles were pricey as well, when were tall like 30 feet. You may consider investing in some netting to protect your flock from overhead raptors.
WISHING YOU BEST...................... :highfive:

And remember it is protected,,,
I use blanks in the shotgun, a few pows and they tend to stay away from you. Firecrackers may work also,,,

The bird is a falcon. Let me see if I can find picture. I may have one of him in the yard eating the bird. Or one for an ID. It’s a falcon. I was thinking about being a keeper of hawks when I was younger so I had to be able to ID them to do it.

What exactly do you think I saw?

Last edited:
The bird is a falcon. Let me see if I can find picture. I may have one of him in the yard eating the bird. Or one for an ID. It’s a falcon. I was thinking about being a keeper of hawks when I was younger so I had to be able to ID them to do it.
As I said he won’t take off with one. But he can take one down like he did in the yard across the street and eat it while alive. And he didn’t care that there were multiple people standing within 10 feet and watching.

https://www.jackite.com/

I used to fly an Osprey kite on a fishing pole at the beach. The seagulls went nuts whenever they saw it. It was handy for keeping them away from where I was at, since they attacked my dogs otherwise.
That is the kite I was referencing. Just could not find the posting to link to. Thanks for bringing this up. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom