Falling forward and then paddling legs, what is it? :(

Dudu

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Ħal Luqa, Malta
Please help - have you seen anything like it before and what it is?
Bantam rooster, about 5 years old, in a good condition (not thin, on the contrary)
Yesterday was walking in a restricted way, kind of staggering a little, in the evening found him on his side with legs stretched to the side/to the back. Can't stand at all, falling over forward and then starts paddling (excessively) and biting the cloth in front of him (I believe this is a sign of pain, he is usually so quiet and sweet).
Still interested in food and water and actually very alert, even too much (stressed), not lethargic.
What could it be? :(

Last edited:
Was searching on the forum here and found this video by another member - this is exactly how he looks, plus the frantic paddling after he falls on his side.... He has made it through the night but is still the same.

His symptoms are neurological in nature. Many things such as Mareks disease, a brain inflammation from an infectious disease, a vitamin deficiency, poisoning from lead or toxin, and botulism could possibly be a cause for this. I would feed him chicken vitamins and electrolytes, and make sure that he can get enough food and water for now. Does he free range in a large area where he could have eaten something poisonous or tainted? Can you check your feed to make sure there isn't mold on it?

Thank you so much Eggcessive, you are always so helpful!

He is still the same way and biting his thighs when I touch them, it seems it might be some pain in the muscles maybe? :(

I will try my best to take him to our vet to see what he says.

He lives in a crate with a hen (on sawdust bedding), I checked it and it seems ok (no mold in the crate). The feed seemed fine too but I will check more.

He is otherwise very conscious and very alert, and eats even though he is lying on his side. I help him drink and then the trouble begins, as soon as I pick him up he begins to paddle his legs excessively, though he is normally a very calm boy used to handling.

Back
Top Bottom