Fancy Pigeons Thread!!

IN RAISEING PIGEONS THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT ARE FUNDMENTAL . THE PEN YOU RAISE THEM IN NEEDS TO BE WERE THE KEEPER CAN CONTROL THE BIRDS . BY THIS I MEAN THE SIZE OF THE PEN SHOULD BE WERE THE BIRDS CAN BE REACHED AND NOT BE ABLE TO FLY BY OR OVER THE KEEPER . BY THIS I MEAN A PEN 5 FOOT WIDE AND 5 AND HALF FOOT TALL IS IDEAL THE BIRDS HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM BUT WHEN YOU NEED TO CATCH OR JUST BE AROUND YOUR BIRDS THEY ARE ACUSTOMED TO THE PRESENT OF PEOPLE . WIRE SIZE 1INCH BY 1 INCH IS RECOMENDED BIGGER WILD CRITTERS LIKE SPARROWS CAN GET IN EAT FOOD AND BRING LICE MITES AND SICKNESS . THE SHOW FANCY LIKE GOOD CALM BIRDS AND WILD FLIGHTY BIRDS ARE SELDOM WINNERS AND BIRDS THAT ARE CLALM IN THE LOFT ARE FUN AND A PLEASURE TO BE AROUND . HAS A KID STARTED WITH FANTAILS SMALL AND EASY TO HANDLE OTHER BREEDS ARE JUST AS GOOD A 7 YEAR OLD NEED A SMALL BREED TO START WITH CLASSIC FRILLS ARE GREAT BREED SMALL TAME EASY TO RAISE AND CAN RAISE THERE OWN

That looks like a fantastic loft set up. I need some flight cages like that on mine. Another thing to know is perch and nest box space. The more of both the better. Nest boxes should be at least 12inches square. Its good to have a wall of perches and a wall of nestboxes. I like to use the dollar store dog bowls as nest bowls. Cheap and easy to clean. Pigeons do best with individual size perches. The long rail type that we use with chickens arent that great. Pigeons like to claim a territory usually a perch and a nestbox. I took a 2 X 4 cut it into 6 inch or so lengths and nailed them to a 1 x 4. Heres a perch pic.

hello..

I'm looking to get some fertile pigeon eggs, I'm a local teacher and teaching incubation

and egg development..the birds will have a great home...will to pay and for shipping....

Thanks for your help...racing or homing, colorful ones If can.... Thanks again Mr.Miller , Agricultural Class
You do know that if you get pigeon eggs and they hatch, you are going to have to hand feed them until they are fully grown. They will need to be fed 2-3 times a day. However with quail eggs and such, you just have to grind up their food and they will feed themselves.

I have 34 pigeons at this time. They are all Saxon Silesian Swallow Pigeons - some of them are "fairy" or crested.
23 of them are breeding stock, one is just for a pet. He isn't "properly" marked, so I won't use him for breeding, but hes tame to me, so I couldn't let him go :)
10 of them are currently for sale :)

also, in the pictures, please excuse the disaster. Everyone is molting, and they like to make a mess with their food.

oh, they are black, blue, and blue bar - by the way :)
They are very purdy, but that is coming from someone who just sees beauty ! Thank you for sharing
love.gif
So nice to see you can have a bunch hangin together. Nice info too from the other peeps ! I would like to make perches like you sugest, and will take space & into consideration , and am also goin to check out those other breeds!
woot.gif

That looks like a fantastic loft set up. I need some flight cages like that on mine. Another thing to know is perch and nest box space. The more of both the better. Nest boxes should be at least 12inches square. Its good to have a wall of perches and a wall of nestboxes. I like to use the dollar store dog bowls as nest bowls. Cheap and easy to clean. Pigeons do best with individual size perches. The long rail type that we use with chickens arent that great. Pigeons like to claim a territory usually a perch and a nestbox. I took a 2 X 4 cut it into 6 inch or so lengths and nailed them to a 1 x 4. Heres a perch pic.
Thank you soo much ! Will use yer expertise !
thumbsup.gif

Those are great. I love to see a loft full of one kind of pigeon, exspecially color pigeons. Could you imagine those flying in a kit? I like swallows also but I prefer the fullheads. I hope to have a loft full of priests soon.
I have 34 pigeons at this time. They are all Saxon Silesian Swallow Pigeons - some of them are "fairy" or crested.
23 of them are breeding stock, one is just for a pet. He isn't "properly" marked, so I won't use him for breeding, but hes tame to me, so I couldn't let him go :)
10 of them are currently for sale :)

also, in the pictures, please excuse the disaster. Everyone is molting, and they like to make a mess with their food.

Back
Top Bottom