**Fancy Rooster Contest!! Ends 2/28/16**

I want some peas eventually but the noise is what I have to worry about on a scale of 1-10 how loud would you say they are during the breeding season with 1 being a whisper and 10 being a screaming baby, odd scale I know but worried about noise where I am.

I have a small flock (1 peacock, 2 peahens) that I acquired by accident. They're all under 2yrs old right now, so they aren't of breeding age yet & don't make the "help me" cry yet during breeding season (which lasts a number of months). Mine are surprisingly quiet at a 1 a majority of the time. However, they do have this clown car horn honk they make when they're talking to each other or are riled up (I'd rate it between 5-10, depending on why they're honking). It can also have a trill sound to it. I think if you're worried about noise, peafowl probably aren't a good investment for you.

They are a lot of fun to have & watch, though! :D

Here's my 2yo's boy, Francis! He's a 10mo Silver Ameraucana.
Here he is pacing in the "delivery ward" while two of his favorites lay in the boxes. He was chattering and kept checking on them in turn like a worried first time father.

Here he's being handled by his young mistress. He has been perfect for the her to handle. Patient and shows absolutely no signs of people aggression.

during breeding season I would give them a 9 and thats about 24-7 for almost 4 months. It also depends on how many you have. A pair isn't to bad.

My neighbors had a free range cock who we shared and he was so loud during breeding season. Defiantly 10! He screamed every morning. Sadly, he was hit by a bus a few years back...

My neighbors had a free range cock who we shared and he was so loud during breeding season. Defiantly 10! He screamed every morning. Sadly, he was hit by a bus a few years back...

I'm sorry to hear that. We lost one of our chickens to a car also. It can be hard to keep them from it, even with a fence, poultry learn how to jump over, squeeze under or sneak around somehow or the other.

Yup, my khaki mix female learned to fly over her fence and open the latch so the others could get out, you can imagine my surprise to find my14 ducks and my goose sitting on my deck when I got home
1f602.png
Sam is such a smart duck!

Back
Top Bottom