Fans in coops??

Yeppers. I use cheap box fans in windows in all three coops. Vents wide open, fan blowing IN from the coolest side of the coop (north or east), hot air is pushed up and out. Couple times during the season, I clean and oil the fans, and clean the hardware cloth over the windows (and vents! don't forget the vents!). I run them on Low at night when temps are in the 80's, and higher during the day depending on weather. Runs up the electric bill, but keeps my birds alive. I have a couple spares on hand for when one gives out.

On the worst days, 95-deg and up, I freeze water in 2 liter bottles and milk jugs and scatter those around the floor of my brooder and integration coops. My chicks hover near or sit on top of them to keep cool. They last several hours, so I can put them out at noon and they're still cold by 5pm. Works!

I am compelled to mention, though, with or without fans or other methods, the most important things to keep chickens cool in summer heat are SHADE and fresh WATER.

Does anyone put fans in the chicken coop during the summer?
Yes. I have an ceiling mounted fan to draw air from the bottom up, and out through the floating roof. Kept the coop a good 10 degrees F cooler in summer. In winter I turn it on when cleaning to exhaust dust.
BF705A58-5F6D-46A2-B53E-A7E07832FC56.jpeg

Thanks we are wanting to do everything possible to keep our girls comfortable.

Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile it helps us to give better-targeted advice.

I don’t have one but am thinking about installing something like this - Attic fan

iLiving 10" Wall Mounted Shutter Exhaust Fan, Automatic Shutter, with Thermostat and Variable Speed controller, 65W, 820 CFM, 1200 SQF Coverage Area Silver (ILG8SF10V-ST) https://a.co/d/6k6pPUv

This is not a barn-rated fan and thus it would be a fire hazard.

At best, the dust and danger will clog up the motor and kill it.

Where, in general, are you?

If you put your location into your profile it helps us to give better-targeted advice.

This is not a barn-rated fan and thus it would be a fire hazard.

At best, the dust and danger will clog up the motor and kill it.
We live in Southern indiana. It does get rather warm here.

We live in Southern indiana. It does get rather warm here.

What sort of temperatures do you routinely see in the summer?

In my extremely well-ventilated coop here in central NC, where we routinely see 95+F from late May to mid-September, my chickens do well without any kind of fan.

But if you have to protect against both extreme heat and extreme cold it gets harder to manage. I don't have the link, but we used to have a member here on BYC who built a coop with removable wall panels. It was Open Air all summer but enclosed against severe winters.

What kind of AC are you using. We just found out that we don’t have enough ventilation and we’re thinking king of doing an AC.

The trouble with fans and AC units is the dust. Chickens create an incredible amount of dander, dust and airborne particles that clog them up causing fire hazards.

I would opt for opening up a wall or adding lots of windows with awnings.

An example....
Awning window....
IMG_20200523_125133.jpg

This vent is made from 2 fence pickets. Inside the coop has hardware cloth. This was a retrofit on a bantam coop.
IMG_20201006_140442.jpg

Same fence picket vent in closed position.
IMG_20210809_185848.jpg

Mine do OK without fans but I have two in my coop that I run on the hot days. When they come in out of the run on really hot afternoons, the fans help cool them down. My coop is completely open for two feet at the bottom and the fans help keep the air circulating when there is no breeze.

What kind of AC are you using. We just found out that we don’t have enough ventilation and we’re thinking king of doing an AC.

The trouble with fans and AC units is the dust. Chickens create an incredible amount of dander, dust and airborne particles that clog them up causing fire hazards.

This.

While misters and swamp coolers are effective in dry heat, the best option for chicken keepers in hot climates is plenty of shade and extreme ventilation.

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Access to ground where they can dig in to cooler layers is also helpful.

Remember, these are not delicate housepets, they are livestock accustomed to live outdoors.

Choosing an appropriate breed for the heat and setting up the conditions appropriately should keep them in good shape except for the most extreme situations. :)

Back
Top Bottom