Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Hi, new to the site and this thread.

I was happy to find a thread devoted to both homesteading and utility heritage chickens. I'm raising light Brahmas with the intention of taking the flock here back to the huge size roots of the 19th century. We're in New York, so the large size and extensive feathering make these birds perfect. Especially considering the position of our home - lots of wind and snow from the North-West in the winter which is where the valley runs below our home, open field facing that. Only windbreak is an old apple tree stand of 6 heirloom trees...not much, basically. I've bred chickens in the past on a farm in NC, years ago. Just for fun. Today's breeding is more serious, as I am working to feed a family of 7 and instill country values in my children. They grew up in Buffalo until 2012, their dad is a city boy, I am a country girl...after a decade of urban living, it was time to get back to MY roots. Only exception is we stayed in NY.

My idea is that by breeding the largest and heaviest feathered, eventually I will reach the 'giants'. It might take my lifetime, but this isn't for show. It's to create the best meat and egg bird for my tiny homestead. We only have around an acre, renting with an option to buy at anytime. Our little flock forages and I supplement with all of our food scraps along with oats and a small amount of cracked corn mixed in for a treat. They're not laying yet, but I save all of our egg shells to make my own calcium supplement.

Everything I do for the chickens is old fashioned. My great-grandparents raised me and I have a passion for everything from the early 20th century and late 19th century in the way of know-how. If it can be done by hand, I try to find out how!

Oh, I read about the run-off pond idea. That's exactly what my little goldfish/duck pond is from. There's a pipe that runs from the drain tiles by our basement to an area out back. Another natural runoff from the mountain side meets it. The area stayed marshy and was gross! This spring I dug out a little pond and the pipe drains clear, freezing water comparable to spring water. There's a few minnows in it and a couple of frogs call it home. If you have a little runoff, you can do this, too. The water drains from the mountain continuously, but if yours goes dry, just put a pond pump in during the dry times. You'll really appreciate the wildlife. We've had many more birds this year and the frogs and fish have cut down on the mosquito population that would have come from the marsh!

Hi Rural Writer-- welcome to BYC. Love the idea of the pond as you described. You made me realize that I have another location that I could dig a second pond using the runoff from the house. That water currently drains into the sand used to back fill the foundation and then drains away with a complicated pipe system.

Boy, I hope this thread doesn't die...I have at last officially lurked through all 226 pages and have been learning some great stuff.

THis is a wonderful thread . . just a busy time of year for most people, especially those with animals and winter is roaring in . . .and the holiday next week.

Hope you learned a lot reading all the 226 pages!!

Last edited:
Another fine thread.

So im now about 18 months in. Here is a brief summary of what ive done.

Started with Orpingtons, but quickly decided they are to skinny. (At least the ones i have from 2 different sources.) so added plymouth rocks and an indian game cockerel (a Cornish).

First season (last year) of breeding the Orpington's was a learning curve. And we maybe hatched only 20 chicks, ate 5, sold a couple of cocks, gave some hens away to friends and kept 7 which were bred this year to the Plymouth. Second season just finishing was more of a learning curve. The indian game being quite heavy and mature did some nasty injuries to my hens (they are all healthy we took good care of em). So spurs off before we next mate them. The Plymouth was a little similar, large and heavy, but young so no spurs yet.... Just sharp toenails causing a little damage. Saddles are being investigated. Overall we are going to end up with 60+ chicks this year depending on the final hatch next weekend.

The meat. The first few Orpington's we ate, we left em to long. They were tough. But they were also very long and skinny. Not good value those ones. We have had some Orp/plymouth and they are much better, shorter overall and much thicker legs and breast. But still a long way from a production bird. My hens i have kept from last year, plymouth hen / Orp cockerel have been crossed back to a different line plymouth cockerel. So interested to see what we get there. The hens are obviously much stockier than a normal Orp. I'll be hopefully successfully breeding the indian game in there after the summer heat... About march next year. This will make the most difference to the meat side of things.

So in general just playing around with those 3 breeds and seeing what results. I have also recently bought 2 young light sussex hens. So they will slot in somewhere too at some point. This is being done on 1/4 acre with most of the backyard dedicated to the chooks. They all have access to grass which they seem to mow quite well. I have 6 coops of varying sizes, and my rooster boxes built into the rear of the feed shed are almost done..... Oh the sleep shall reign.

I'll be reading through this lot for sure

And just because photos are cool, this is Stripey, the plymouth i hatched from a breeder last year, who has sired the 60 we have this year. But turns out to not be proper dark barred plymouth. But still producing some nice green and purple luminescent chooks, as well as the more traditional barred looking ones

Last edited:
Hi, new to the site and this thread.

I was happy to find a thread devoted to both homesteading and utility heritage chickens. I'm raising light Brahmas with the intention of taking the flock here back to the huge size roots of the 19th century. We're in New York, so the large size and extensive feathering make these birds perfect. Especially considering the position of our home - lots of wind and snow from the North-West in the winter which is where the valley runs below our home, open field facing that. Only windbreak is an old apple tree stand of 6 heirloom trees...not much, basically. I've bred chickens in the past on a farm in NC, years ago. Just for fun. Today's breeding is more serious, as I am working to feed a family of 7 and instill country values in my children. They grew up in Buffalo until 2012, their dad is a city boy, I am a country girl...after a decade of urban living, it was time to get back to MY roots. Only exception is we stayed in NY.

My idea is that by breeding the largest and heaviest feathered, eventually I will reach the 'giants'. It might take my lifetime, but this isn't for show. It's to create the best meat and egg bird for my tiny homestead. We only have around an acre, renting with an option to buy at anytime. Our little flock forages and I supplement with all of our food scraps along with oats and a small amount of cracked corn mixed in for a treat. They're not laying yet, but I save all of our egg shells to make my own calcium supplement.

Everything I do for the chickens is old fashioned. My great-grandparents raised me and I have a passion for everything from the early 20th century and late 19th century in the way of know-how. If it can be done by hand, I try to find out how!

Oh, I read about the run-off pond idea. That's exactly what my little goldfish/duck pond is from. There's a pipe that runs from the drain tiles by our basement to an area out back. Another natural runoff from the mountain side meets it. The area stayed marshy and was gross! This spring I dug out a little pond and the pipe drains clear, freezing water comparable to spring water. There's a few minnows in it and a couple of frogs call it home. If you have a little runoff, you can do this, too. The water drains from the mountain continuously, but if yours goes dry, just put a pond pump in during the dry times. You'll really appreciate the wildlife. We've had many more birds this year and the frogs and fish have cut down on the mosquito population that would have come from the marsh!

Rural Writer, Light Brahmas actually exist is fairly awesome form. Make sure you procure stock from strong breeders and avoid hatchery stock at all costs.

Hello, so happy to have found this thread...would like to give a little information if you like..we milk a cow and make our own PRO-Biotic...so healthy and easy..we are an older couple who have benifited from this...all that is needed is "milk grains" (I was fortunate to have a friend who shared hers with me) I prefer the second fermenting method..makes wonderful healthy shakes by adding fruit...if interested donna @ culturedfoodlife.com...she is so helpful.....Now: we make our own butter and the "buttermilk" is what is left after butter forms (I know you know that sorry) used in baking - delicious. from butter we make ghee or clarified butter, ghee is pushed a little longer and has a nutty taste...after the "liquid gold" is ready I put in to 1/2 pt. jars, and water bath.... seals ok without water bath but I like to be "sure" I understand a lady has eaten hers after 4-5 years on shelf...have not been making it that long but oldest on shelf is 3/2012...I understand the "fat" is the healthyest to eat...check it out if interested.. I am going on year 4 for raising chickens...(I Think) I have decided on flock...mine are only hatchery girls but are wonderful ...have 20 New Hampshire Reds (chicks)(good foragers and weather hearty, large eggs, good meat production) Plymouth Barred Rocks- good dual purpose, lay well --Black Astralorpes? 20 Isa Browns (from Towneline) for eggs...will be the last year I "order" chicks...weather premitting I will be sending quite a few to freezer camp... I have probably said too much but so enjoyed your conversations....am 75 - husband 82 and we are still going strong at being self sufficient.

Sorry - my post was and has been already expressed, Pro- biotics...butter...and yes will go with White Rocks, anyone know where to get them?

Back
Top Bottom