Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Thank goodness it has decided it was too much work for too little reward the last two nights.

This week has been tough with... Mother in Laws death/etc,..... bear breaking in,.... 32 chicks beginning to feather out in house brooder box waiting to go outside..... and then yesterday ....

Last night was preoccupied waiting for a call that my missing diabetic brother in Tennessee was found. He is now in the Hospital and will get to go home when his sugar, blood pressure, dehydration is back under control and disorientation is gone.

Sleep will come easier now!
I am so glad he has been fpund ahd is getting medical treatment ,prayers going that is get well soon.

Thank goodness it has decided it was too much work for too little reward the last two nights.

This week has been tough with... Mother in Laws death/etc,..... bear breaking in,.... 32 chicks beginning to feather out in house brooder box waiting to go outside..... and then yesterday ....

Last night was preoccupied waiting for a call that my missing diabetic brother in Tennessee was found. He is now in the Hospital and will get to go home when his sugar, blood pressure, dehydration is back under control and disorientation is gone.

Sleep will come easier now!
Oh my goodness! What a horrible week you're having! Glad your brother is found and on the road to recovery. I'll pray for him and that you will be able to rest well now, as well as for your wife regarding her loss.

Thanks Lacy and all. It was my X that lost his mom. His sister is the one I was concerned with as she is a Navy Vet with manic depressant with closed head injury. My son told me my daughter had to keep digging her nails in his leg to try and keep my X awake!! Can't imagine a man sleeping through his moms funeral!! I did not get to go but was in contact with the rest of the family through out the ordeal.

On My brother, his wife though tells a different story about his missing episode than he told me. I think he is still a little confused. Kept saying he kept taking 15 minute naps and was crawling because he couldn't stand up anymore. Had gotten the tractor stuck on branches in the logging trail and couldn't get it free. Started walking for home but was already disoriented with low blood sugar and dehydration and got lost. Paramedics said he was beginning to loose consciousness and bordering a coma and had kept passing out. But Hospital got him stabilized and let him go home today. The EMS and DNR there warned him he was lucky to be alive as a bear had mauled and killed a 14 year old boy in the area. His wife is keeping an Eagle eye on him right now. Praying he continues to improve.

Now I have eaten eggs for dinner and if no sound of the bear and her three cubs outside near coop I may be able to get some sleep. Going to mow a larger area of field etc so will be able to see the bear from further and it won't be able to take resting spots in tall grass where I or chickens could get too close before we know it. These chicks will get to stay inside a bit longer because the grow out pens are made of same stuff it tore off the front of the coop and already have some older breeding quality juveniles in the quarantine section of the back of the adult coop.. Ok off to sleep for a bit.

I got question want to line breed to a particular rooster how long do I have to keep other roosters penned before their genetics will be out of the hens and the main breeding roosters is all that is left for incubation? They are light brahma's I don't know if that makes a difference or not all are 1 year old as well.

I
I got question want to line breed to a particular rooster how long do I have to keep other roosters penned before their genetics will be out of the hens and the main breeding roosters is all that is left for incubation? They are light brahma's I don't know if that makes a difference or not all are 1 year old as well.
suggest to talk to papa chaz maybe able to answer this question as ther has been a study that sometimes a hen retains some of an earlier breeding of a DIFFERENT rooster in her sysyem in OTHER words she hold on to ot and keeps it in her body ,on a different npte of this I read 30 days google up research on bteeding diffetent studs of the same and see what answers you get breed as I really dont know for sure I have never used different studs in a breeding program.

That question has been asked a number of times and can probably be searched for on this site. If I remember correctly, there is no real guarantee until after 6 weeks, but 30 days would be a good standard practice and I am sure some people only wait 2 weeks. Depends on how important it is to you or maybe, if you can easily tell if something shows up you don't want, like from a different breed.

I put the hens I want to breed in a separate pen with a nest box for several weeks..easy enough to check eggs for the fertile ring.. when no more fertile then I add the desired cock for a week and don't incubate ANY until I consistently get fertile rings again.

Only other way is to pen all except the desired cockerel away from rest of flock and wait a month.

Back
Top Bottom