Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

thanks for the document. On the chick I looked at the yolk sac was outside the stomach. Isn't that suppose to be internal?

Thanks again, I will keep monitoring. I am adveraging a 75% hatch rate which is a little low.

thanks for the document. On the chick I looked at the yolk sac was outside the stomach. Isn't that suppose to be internal?

Thanks again, I will keep monitoring. I am adveraging a 75% hatch rate which is a little low.
With a 75% hatch rate, you do not have to change stuff.

The yolk is the last to absorb--chick died before absorbing the yolk.

With a 75% hatch rate, you do not have to change stuff.

The yolk is the last to absorb--chick died before absorbing the yolk.
I ahree a 75%hatch rate is very fair hatch rate many people have a much higher rate of chicks not making it I think you did pretty dang good myself Im sure that there are other that will agree that you are hetting a very fair hatch rate .Good luck with ya new little chicks and remember enjoy them while they are them growing up.

75% can be low or even high. Depends on the birds to. Not just you or the setter etc. You will know in time where you are and if the %s are good or not.

If there was anything that I could guarantee you it would be that chickens die.

75% can be low or even high. Depends on the birds to. Not just you or the setter etc. You will know in time where you are and if the %s are good or not.

If there was anything that I could guarantee you it would be that chickens die.
I agree it does in fact depend on how many you are trying to hatch I forgot to add that fact.

Did any of you realize that we have little mice out here that howl and eat flesh? I wonder if they have incisors with their little rodent teeth?

Lacy- could you get a Utube recording of the mouse "howl" . I don't think I have ever heard one.
But maybe thats because I didn't realize it was a mouse,
But they will chew on anything that holds still for them.
I have seen recordings of a large chicken eating a mouse.
It looks like they tenderize it first

Here you go.

It is actually called a grasshopper mouse. The one in the video is a southern grasshopper mouse and we have them here as well and these are the northern grasshopper mouse. I haven't seen a video specifically on the northern one which we have but I have seen plenty of mice identical to the one in the video. I had thought that someone somewhere let a tame mouse go at some point because of the white belly on these rodents. They are actually very pretty. However, they wreak havoc on my birds and so...

Had a 9 month old Wyandotte pullet choke to death on an adult mouse...couldn't get it out of her throat quick enough. I have no problem tossing the pinkies and young greys to the chickens when I'm cleaning in the barn. The adults scurry away with the birds chasing them.

Lacy- could you get a Utube recording of the mouse "howl" . I don't think I have ever heard one.
But maybe thats because I didn't realize it was a mouse,
But they will chew on anything that holds still for them.
I have seen recordings of a large chicken eating a mouse.
It looks like they tenderize it first

Walt

Back
Top Bottom