Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Ah. I hadn't had any doubles since that egg bound one this past spring that got the infection. I'm watching to be sure no one else does it on a regular basis. That would be a cull in my breeding program.:rolleyes:

Selling Organic eggs ?- Here is a little tidbit about the factory competition.

http://www.cornucopia.org/2015/12/s...sda-complacency-with-true-heroes-in-organics/

The potential for fraud is one reason I don't really participate much in "certified Organics" as a customer ... especially for poultry. And the potential for counterfeit "organic" poultry feed is why I don't buy that. I think sometimes customers don't "get" why the way we do things here offers more certainty, but I for sure won't be getting certified.

We don't sell - I gift -or trade our overage which has been negative the last 4 weeks - we actually had to buy 4 dozen
and purchase "free range" at local chain store but they were not even close to the quality of ours. We spoiled I think.
roll.png

None of the small chicken raisers have eggs . Molt and short days have taken their toll this year. When I relocate the Gypsy trailer I will plug er in and see if we can get some production going again.

I got two pullet eggs this week, ending the dry spell from the chicken coop. The ducks have been feeding us. The ducks have been excellent winter layers. I probably won't replace them when they burn out ... They are a PITA to raise and they aren't self-replicating like the chickens. But the eggs!

I got two pullet eggs this week, ending the dry spell from the chicken coop. The ducks have been feeding us. The ducks have been excellent winter layers. I probably won't replace them when they burn out ... They are a PITA to raise and they aren't self-replicating like the chickens. But the eggs!

Many trends started in the West I don't like but thats one I will welcome here.
gig.gif

Well folks I am proud to announce that so far the cold weather has not detoured my RIR pullets from laying eggs I am still getting from 12 to 14eggs a day out of 20hens U guess that's a pretty great number

Well folks I am proud to announce that so far the cold weather has not detoured my RIR pullets from laying eggs I am still getting from 12 to 14eggs a day out of 20hens U guess that's a pretty great number

Thats outstanding compared to here but don't know where "long, hot summer " is to compare with. ?

Thats outstanding compared to here but don't know where "long, hot summer " is to compare with. ?
You are right George has such funny weather it just has as of this week turn cold high in the 50s and low in the 20s to 30s to us that's cold.

Back
Top Bottom