Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Cool thanks. Because production is linked to inbreeding how important is uniformity of non production traits in relation to production? If all things being equal could breeds like Icelandic and and Swedish flower hens be as productive as a standardized breed or is there to much genetic material. I’m not trying to argue the merits of the SOP.

Cool thanks. Because production is linked to inbreeding how important is uniformity of non production traits in relation to production? If all things being equal could breeds like Icelandic and and Swedish flower hens be as productive as a standardized breed or is there to much genetic material. I’m not trying to argue the merits of the SOP.

Doesn't matter what birds you are using. Production is linked to your breeding choices working together with the limitations of the breed (egg layer vs meat bird vs dual purpose bird), and choosing to mate those birds that exhibit the best meat and egg production traits that you want. It isn't about whether or not they are a standardized or APA recognized breed.

Smaller, lighter weight breeds will be the better egg layers. Heavier, larger framed breeds will be the meat birds because there is more meat on a single bird that you kill compared to killing a Leghorn for meat. You can do it, but you're not going to get as much meat out of that one Leghorn so it's kind of a waste of a bird. And then you have the dual purpose birds somewhere in the middle of those.

No matter what breed you use, you still have to make the correct mating selections to get the goals that you want for production. You work within their limitations, but choose your breeders to maximize the traits that you want and de-emphasize the traits that you don't want.

Checked the flock this evening, assigning leg bands, replacing lost leg bands, checking skin and feathers for possible carry ons,trimmed nails, measuring abdomens and pelvic bone widths. I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing in these WRs, loving the heft, width and depth of the genes from Ken Weaver's male on this current young male of mine and also in the female offspring. Nice, tight feathering from the other half of that breeding line, as well as good laying genetics and good size, is showing up in the best of these birds.

I was pleased to have at least 2 of last year's hatch to look good enough to breed this year, as well as a return of one breeder from last year. The other breeder from last year didn't make the grade for laying after weaning her brood, so she will be culled in the fall.

Looking forward to my first show at the end of March, if all goes well and the Lord wills it, and will be taking these two best pullets and the cockerel for show.

Been eating the cockerels, from this last year's hatch, this winter and I don't believe I've laid a tooth on finer eating than that group. Simply amazing.

Hope everyone's flocks are doing well and breeding projects are becoming fulfilled for the new breeding season.

We had a beautiful day today with 70 degrees, clear skies and mild wind.
I was able to trim feather butts on the 42 birds in the breed pens...all the Wyandotte, Buckeye and the Cochin.
Test eggs are labeled and under broody hens in the henhouse....should see chicks by the 21st.

Wow! Nice weather and a good jump start on the breeding season!
woot.gif
Wish I could say the same. I'm not even done tweaking my breeding pen for the season and we'll be in single digits by tomorrow night. With the windchill we are already in them tonight.

Haven't started yet here Bee, too much snow cover and just turned really bitter, below zero so mine have stopped laying! But only for 5 days so far. Hoping as next week is supposed to warm again a little they will begin again and then I will separate out my choices to breed.

Back
Top Bottom