Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Surely we have hatching reports....

There are now about 100 chicks ranging from 2 days to 12 weeks running around my brooder room and hen house. I need to separate the cockerels from the pullets within the older ages.
The garden is progressing. The okra is now up.

Not much to report due to surgery, but at least that went well and I can now slowly start back to being active again. The breeding pasture is set up and very productive, but alas no broodies. I do have one standard bred Barred Rock that is setting and I am very anxious to see how she does. She is a big girl and it would be great if they turn out to be reliable mothers. The breeder told me to expect 25% to go broody. It has been my experience, that birds in my free range environment tend toward broodyness. Can't use my new incubator, because I could not get a new coop built in time for this season, maybe I can come up with something at the last minute or build more tractors for the broodies to come. Very jealous of NanaKat's early season broodys. The majority of mine wait until late spring/early summer.

Had a great spring garden this year, mixed greens, spinach, arugula and romaine. The cool spring has been very helpful in this regard. Defintiely going to be a small summer garden this year, if I can get it in.

Not much to report due to surgery, but at least that went well and I can now slowly start back to being active again. The breeding pasture is set up and very productive, but alas no broodies. I do have one standard bred Barred Rock that is setting and I am very anxious to see how she does. She is a big girl and it would be great if they turn out to be reliable mothers. The breeder told me to expect 25% to go broody. It has been my experience, that birds in my free range environment tend toward broodyness. Can't use my new incubator, because I could not get a new coop built in time for this season, maybe I can come up with something at the last minute or build more tractors for the broodies to come. Very jealous of NanaKat's early season broodys. The majority of mine wait until late spring/early summer.

Had a great spring garden this year, mixed greens, spinach, arugula and romaine. The cool spring has been very helpful in this regard. Defintiely going to be a small summer garden this year, if I can get it in.

When it rains it pours. Just about every bird that can even be remotely considered as 'broody' IS or is trying to be!!! Sis got the ball rollin' and I'm having a hard time slowing it down. From now on...we're gonna' use incubators...they don't go through mood changes like these broodies...including my sister, who just happens to be about 2 months along now as well!
barnie.gif

Thank goodness her 'Private Latino Dancer' is here to act as a shock absorber. When she starts raising hell, he takes the first wave. After all, he's at least partially to blame for her being in this 'delicate condition'... Just because she chased him all over Brazil, that doesn't give him any sort of 'out'...
gig.gif

Jason

Last edited:
When it rains it pours.  Just about every bird that can even be remotely considered as 'broody' IS or is trying to be!!!  Sis got the ball rollin' and I'm having a hard time slowing it down.  From now on...we're gonna' use incubators...they don't go through mood changes like these broodies...including my sister, who just happens to be about 2 months along now as well!  :barnie

Thank goodness her 'Private Latino Dancer' is here to act as a shock absorber.  When she starts raising hell,  he takes the first wave.  After all, he's at least partially to blame for her being in this 'delicate condition'...  Just because she chased him all over Brazil, that doesn't give him any sort of 'out'...  :gig  

Jason
too funny!

When it rains it pours. Just about every bird that can even be remotely considered as 'broody' IS or is trying to be!!! Sis got the ball rollin' and I'm having a hard time slowing it down. From now on...we're gonna' use incubators...they don't go through mood changes like these broodies...including my sister, who just happens to be about 2 months along now as well!
barnie.gif

Thank goodness her 'Private Latino Dancer' is here to act as a shock absorber. When she starts raising hell, he takes the first wave. After all, he's at least partially to blame for her being in this 'delicate condition'... Just because she chased him all over Brazil, that doesn't give him any sort of 'out'...
gig.gif

Jason

Has the Progesterone Poisoning taken effect on Ariel yet? (aka "Morning Sickness" that has no idea when morning ends.)

We having the same problem . The chicken part LOL - to old for the other.
All nests are full and eggs down to 5 a day.
Was going to let the broodys do a hatch now that we are caught up. Problem is not enough eggs.
Its always something with chickens.

Has the Progesterone Poisoning taken effect on Ariel yet? (aka "Morning Sickness" that has no idea when morning ends.)
Truth be told, she is doing ok, especially if she can make Matty's life just a little bit miserable before he starts to work. If I were him, I'd think about hitch-hiking to Brazil. Ariel think Dad has his passport but that's not so...he had me give it back to him, not more than a couple hours after dad playfully appropriated it during a mock lead-up to a shot-gun wedding but everyone concerned believes that either he wants to marry her or he doesn't. I personally feel he is absolutely crazy about her and she for him....I've already named the kid, boy or girl...it will be called 'Putz'...

Jason

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom