Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
I doubt that today's Homestead movement (assuming there is something you can truly describe as a movement) shares many roots with the American original, when chunks of the Great Plains and the West were opened up to settlement by anyone who could stake a claim and "improve" it, which itself stems from the many earlier waves of homesteading beginning with Plymouth and Jamestown. These waves were by necessity self-sufficient: if your rye and wheat failed, if the foxes ate your chickens and the bears your hogs, you and your family would starve. You couldn't run down to Safeway for a dozen eggs, or get a day-job substitute teaching or asking tourists if they'd like fries with their hamburger.

The modern "movement's" origins seem more related to more recent cycles of interest--in the 1930s, with the Depression and first-generation-urban Americans who remembered the farm they grew up on, and heard from their relatives in the country (like my grandparents) who said Depression? What Depression? Nother piece of fried chicken? They planted gardens in their urban and suburban backyards, kept a few chickens, and eked out an existence. Some left the cities altogether, either to return to the farm or to attempt farming themselves. And I'll place quotes around "farming," because typically the large diversified for-profit farm wasn't the model so much as a small supplemental "truck" farm, a more intensive generation of income from a smaller piece of land selling higher-profit products (chicken, for those whose memories don't extend back into the 1950s, used to be a luxury meal unless you raised them yourself).

Track the books published on the subject, and you'll see spikes in the 1930s (Five Acres and Independence, the escape-from-New York writings of E. B. White), and again in the 1940s (Louis Bromfield, The Robinson Family's famous "Have-More Plan," the novel The Egg and I), and again in the early 1970s (The Whole Earth Catalog, Alicia Bay Laurel's Living on the Earth, Canned Heat singing "Going up the Country," The Mother Earth News). There was another wave in the 1980s, and the current one seems based in that: a search for (for want of a better word) "authenticity," in life in general and in food in particular. The Slow-Food movement; restaurants based on a carefully shepherded and locally sourced array of high-quality, simply prepared ingredients. See Eliot Coleman: The New Organic Grower, Four-Season Harvest. In the UK, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his River Cottage media empire (homesteading books, cookbooks, TV show on Channel 4, unaffordable land in Dorset because Londoners all want to plant some swedes and raise some chickens and walk around in Wellies and Barbour jackets on weekends).

Of the "homesteaders" who came to my part of Maine in the early 1970s, half now have no dirt at all under their fingernails: moved away, got real jobs, lost interest in the constant labor of homesteading added on to the constant labor of real jobs. A quarter have real jobs and still raise a big garden, keep a few chickens, maybe sheep, maybe ducks, and buy as much as possible of the remainder from the remaining quarter: small market gardeners who kept at it, and make a fair-to-middlin' living selling to restaurants (or in the case of the Chase family of Belfast, starting a farm-to-Garden restaurant that was recently up for a James Beard Award), and at the various farmer's markets, and through CFAs.

The most recent wave mostly follow this path--they tend to be young (well, I think of them as young), often college-educated (most of us 70s arrivals were literal and figurative dropouts), and often with actual business plans in mind. They grow high-end organic vegetables and high-quality poultry simply because you can't make a living selling cheap food unless you're willing to grow countless acres of cheap food, on the corporate model. Five acres of arugula and cardoons and free-range poultry and organic eggs will support a small family wearing Icelandic sweaters and home-knit Goat-Ropers and driving a 10-year-old Volvo wagon with rusty quarter-panels and a Free Tibet bumper sticker.

To me, these last two groups seem to define modern "homesteaders." Totally self-sufficient folks, growing everything and spinning their own flax? We see one or two from time to time, just as we did in the 1970s, but they never last long. They're ideologically driven, for the most part. And ideology doesn't put much food on the table.

Right on Ahab.

For my family we do it for a few reasons. One we enjoy the work, we eat better, and save money. Its never been about profits for us, everything we have is for own consumption. If we have extras we sell or trade them, but we don't plan for the next year or our set ups with the intent of trying to turn a profit. My time is too valuable to sit at the farmers market. I respect and am grateful for those that do, but we've got a different mindset.

I hunt and we eat a lot of venison, assorted waterfowl, turkey, and grouse/pheasant. We eat very little beef (which is store bought) and when we have fish its usually blue gills or Walleye which are all locally caught. But those are all lifestyles for me that we've always had in place. This is something thats slowly grown with us as we've expanded from just horses, to a garden, then a bigger garden, tapping trees, and adding chickens and this year we plan on a couple of goats and a following year few hives of honey bees. We go in 1/2s with the sister in law and family on a hog at the fair to support the local 4H kids and fill the freezer.

We both have regular jobs, and yes we do shop at the grocery store for staple items. We look like normal folks. I don't expect to ever be totally independant, but we enjoy what we do. Am I homesteader? I don't know or really care. I just know what we do and what works for us call us what you will. No Icelandic sweaters, no Volvo with a free Tibet sticker on it. We're just regular folks who until you come by our property wouldn't know we have the set up we do.

This kind of approach seemed how "normal" people lived back when I was growing up in the 1950s. We lived in a very small town and had a huge garden, my grandmother had a smaller garden, a peach orchard, and semi-feral chickens as thick as fleas; my girlfriend lived just out of town and her father, a telephone-company lineman, kept beef cattle, pigs, chickens, and an immense garden that fed that rather immense family. My uncle kept pigs, raised tobacco small-cale commercially, and made boutique white likker as a diversion.

Most people we knew raised at least part of their food, more for the flavor and economy and convenience than for any ecological ideal. These days, gardening and (I shudder to type the phrase) "hobby farming" is my recreation, my trip to the gym, my interest, and for going on 40 years it has provided about half the food we eat, along with fishing, hunting, and what for want of a better word I'll call "gathering."

And all along we've both mostly had actual grown-up jobs, more or less. Just like most of the people we know. All of us pretty much answering to the description of normal people, and none of us self-identifying as Homesteaders. Though by the Mother-Earth-News definition, that's probably what we are.

Well, all of this sounds pretty recognizible to me. It describes the home in which I was born and the home that we now maintain.

Something we have discovered is the sheer benefit of working with friends in community. By nourishing friendships with likeminded people, wwe support each other freely, knowing that support given is support returned. For example:

1. One of the couples "called in the troops", we all showed up and relatively quickly stacked their wood for the winter.
2. I didn't get the trees wrapped for the winter against the voles and mice before the snow grabbed us. Calling in the troops, many hands made light work of digging out all the trees and wrapping them bfore they could be harmed.
3. Just a couple of weeks ago, we all had rabbits to slaughter. Instead of doing them separately, which in February can be cold and depressing, we finished all of our rabbits in a jiffy.

There are many more such examples, from potting to diggin potatoes, etc... We always finish the day with a meal together. It's really nice, concretizes us in our commitment, and makes much possible that would be overwhelming otherwise. I imagine that, were we to go back it time, we'd myriad example of this kind of productive community and friendship that made the hard work not only possible, but enjoyable.

I'm living in the wrong place!
sad.png
I'm from Maine, just living in Massachusetts because DH got a job here in Massachusetts after college. And he's still working at the same job for over 20 years because he truely loves his work. SO we have done our best to carve out our little nitch to farm.

But few people around us get the farming thing. Mostly huge houses going up and fields and woods disappearing. I'm hoping they'll want farm fresh eggs though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This sounds like what we have discovered. I grew up in suburbia, but my wife grew up on the family farm in NC. When I moved to NH, I felt like I was living "Green Acres". But when my wife and I met, I learned alot from her and now we have our little "hobby farm". We enjoy it, have made some great friends, and the supplemental income has allowed my wife to stay at home and raise our 2 boys = priceless!

If you had told me 12 years ago I would be driving a tractor and shovelling chicken poo, I probably would have laughed at you, but now, here I am.

All of us pretty much answering to the description of normal people, and none of us self-identifying as Homesteaders. Though by the Mother-Earth-News definition, that's probably what we are.

Exactly how we see it. I figure we got the room why have to buy strawberries from Mexico when I can grow them right here and freeze the extras for later? The whole garden got started because of rhubarb (which is like a drug to me I LOVE that stuff), then some tomatoes on the patio, then it went off from there. I'm not surpised though that this mentality/lifestyle is coming back into fashion. Before the economies tapered off like it has recently Id agree with the buy local movement. But now I think more and more folks are looking at costs of things and realizing how much cheaper it is to grow and can than buy it at the store. With a little work they can get a lot in return. Thats the reality of it at least the gardening aspect. Especially when chickens are so easy to keep with the tractors and set ups like that especially if they just want to collect eggs. Look at how popular the sex lined layers are. Then add an EE for a fun colored egg in the basket and folks are happy as clams. Who knows maybe they'll set up a compost pile in addition to that.

Thats a trend I don't see leaving as readily, especially since more and more folks are doing gardens, or raised gardens in the suburbs. The starter home folks, people who don't have huge lots or acerage, those are the folks I'm seeing as first timers at the feed store or at the hardware store looking for ideas and how to information.

As far as calling in the troops most of what we do is all family based. Like our deer camp for example. We process our own and its a family affair. If you cut, you get a cut. Even if you didn't get one so long as your there to help process then you'll get your portion of the deer cut that day or weekend. Its all evenly divided out when we portion it out for freezing. If it doesn't divide out evenly and we have extra then the person who hung the most deer that season gets the extra. Its always been that way for as long as anybody can remember and it works good for us.

I don't worry about what others are doing around me, whether or not they get "us". I worry more about feeding my family better food and better for you food, plus saving some $ vs the opinions of anybody else.

And Arielle go knock on some doors. With the new neighbors moving in, go offer them a house warming gift and say a free 1/2 dozen eggs from your gals and tell them what you get for them and try to make a new egg buyer.​

Quote:
My 2 cents on the word homesteading and what it means to many. I belong to a homesteading forum where many do live much more off the land than us. Some even live off the grid but that is for another topic. Most of todays homesteading is trying to get back to nature and away from mass production. This comes down to cooking from scratch as much as possible i.e. not using package products like soup in a can but instead making your own. In many cases it is growing you own produce in a garden for other buying from a farmers market what they do not grow. Getting back into canning and freezing quantaties instead of enough just for a week or 2.

I think homesteaders are more home bodies too. Staying home to work on things instead of going out to events. They are more into recycling things to use at home instead of buying new too. Alot is getting out of the rat race and slowing down to a more normal and natrual life style.

Completely off topic, but I can't help myself; 7961, you have NO idea how many times I've tried to brush your avatar off my screen... :lolI

Back
Top Bottom