Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Completely off topic, but I can't help myself; 7961, you have NO idea how many times I've tried to brush your avatar off my screen... :lol

Me, too !!!!

My 2 cents on the word homesteading and what it means to many. I belong to a homesteading forum where many do live much more off the land than us. Some even live off the grid but that is for another topic. Most of todays homesteading is trying to get back to nature and away from mass production. This comes down to cooking from scratch as much as possible i.e. not using package products like soup in a can but instead making your own. In many cases it is growing you own produce in a garden for other buying from a farmers market what they do not grow. Getting back into canning and freezing quantaties instead of enough just for a week or 2.

2x
Though we don't live off the grid, I've been reading much about it. Or to at least put solar lighting into the barns. I learned how to cook and can from my mother; I teach my 2 boys how to cook and bake. WE cook 99% from scratch. Hence a kitchen sink aways full and a very busy dishwasher. I planted peach trees long ago; the wild blackberries are a quick snack in the summer; I teach the boys how to ID different plants: what is safe to eat what is not.We raise our own sheep. They (he boys) love tomatos if they can pick them off the vine! THis year I'm planning to expand our gardern. I have said this for 2 years now . . . hopefully this is the year! Our 2 freezers are usually full of meat and purchased foods. I would like to change that to our own farmed grown vegetables. When we grow winter squash, I am always amazed how well it lasts into winter when stored in our basement. I will continue to move toward producing more of our own, hence the chickens and turkeys this year. ANd show my boys how to care for animals, grow vegies, etc and cook. It's time we spend together . . and rarely have the time or money to spend at the mall, or the movies. We love being at home.​

Last edited:
I just got an email from my heritage group about a guy that has made a new american breed. Got laugh at that one. He has it in 4 colors and is charging $800.00 a pair for you to buy his new rare breed.
wink.png

Quote:
I got that one too. And replied.

Me too!
lol.png

I think I need to charge more for my "new" breed..... anybody want a Dunghill Fowl trio... only 8 easy payment of 29.95!!
gig.gif
lau.gif
hide.gif

Quote:
Just let all your chickens loose and let them breed with any breed they can and you will have several new breeds. I have no doubt that he will sell some of his "new breed".

Walt

Quote:
Just let all your chickens loose and let them breed with any breed they can and you will have several new breeds. I have no doubt that he will sell some of his "new breed".

Walt

You know, Walt, I think you're right....

Quote:
buffalogal..I have tried the same thing myself..I can't seem to brush that bug off my monitor either..lol

Ok I have read some more on today's useage of the term "homesteading" and I do have a better understanding of why and how some people may use the term in today's world and that is all fine if it is being used for the right and honest intentions. I think that we can say that there are several terms being used by some freely and often sometimes meant for misleading intentions..heirloom, heritage, homesteading. I do think that there are those who use them as a label to solely with the purpose of marketing a product or service and nothing more and or with little to no understanding or intentions of ever understanding what the word means. Somewhere on another thread someone stated the criteria for a heritage breed of poultry is classified as any breed or variety being admitted to the APA Standard of Perfection prior to circa 1960. And most of the collaborative core of individuals who were cited as to who was on this committee, I recognized very few as breeders among working towards standard bred poultry. Most were PhD's with some ag affiliation. That doesn't mean that you necessarily understand the raising and rearing of standard bred poultry.

Growing up, I always thought of a heritage breed as one that has a history, no history then its not a heritage breed, lot of more modern definitions, but they pretty much come to the same bottom line, no history, not a heritage breed. The Standard came out in early 1900s, any breed that didnt exist by then doesnt meed my definition of Heritage Breed.

NO new breed is worth $800/pair, unless they have a 5 to one feed conversion, lay 375 eggs a year and live and produce for ten years. And preferably give grade A milk.

PT Barnum has a LOT of new acolytes.

Quote:
I agree about the new breed. BTW the standard was first printed in 1873 or was it 1874?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom