Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Quote:
Worth is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't give a dollar for a train car load of some of the most popular breeds on this forum. If somebody can make good money selling chickens as pets as compared to selling meat and eggs, more power to them.

I think it is an established "homesteading" concept that making cash money is a good thing. No matter how self sufficient we may be as far as raising our own food, we will always have to have money for some things.

The trick is being on the top of the pile. Emus were big here for several years and it finally got to the point where I think somebody would pay you to take them away. Boer goats have been kind of the same way. If there isn't a solid market for the end result, the last one holding the bag takes a bath.

Quote:
I agree about the new breed. BTW the standard was first printed in 1873 or was it 1874?

Ah, it was the APA that was founded in 1873.

How is every one's hatching going? I only got 11 chicks out of my last batch, Will do one more. This year will a building year, next year I plan on hatching at least 50 chicks, culling down ect.
I hope this thread can revive it self. It was a great one!

Mitch

I have hatched out 7 American Games, 4 Dominiques and 5 Speckled Sussex. Don't know for sure the sex of any of them yet but I plan on keeping the game rooster that I like the best and all hens unless one or more has a compelling reason to be culled.

Not much but it's a start.

Broodies have hatch but only 3 survivers. I just got my incubator in so will be hatching more. We have already lost 3 hens this year too. So I have alot to replace with hatching.

I too was wondering what ever happened to this thread. The goal was to have had @ least 50 Columbian Rock bantam chicks out, thus I have 12. Still hatching now and the last batch are due out of the incubators this weekend.

Well, I don't have my notebook with me, but, after early culling, I probably have around 150 chicks and have the goal of 200, which I should attain in the next few weeks. I have equal parts White Dorking and RC Anconas.

I have things about which I am excited and other things that keep me grounded. However I do feel that we are looking at what will amount to a step forward.

Back
Top Bottom