Fat ducks

pookiethebear

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Can pekins ducks eat too much? I have 2 Ps and 1 rouen, all the same age (3 weeks). The one P is HUGE, and seems to strugle to waddle around the very big brooder. Once she gets going she is fine and can run with the rouen when he gets all excited and decides to do laps. The hhave pelnty of room to walk around and get exercise. I put them in the kiddy pool when it is warm out. I am just concerned about her eating too much. She loves to lay at the food and jsut shovel the starter feed in, then waddles to the water and does the same. Shoudl I be restricting her food? The rouen is looking just fine and the other P is smaller than this P, and looks good as well.

Pekins have been bred for 100's of years to be meat birds and to mature fast. They just get big. Don't think they could eat themselves into an early grave but I am no expert. I wouldn't worry about feeding too much

I have a black swede (I think!) duck that will eat so much some days that she can barely walk. In fact, she used to fall down sometimes, and I wrote the forum here in a panic. All I can figures is that some days she just eats too much.

We haven't had any falling down episodes since then, but she can barely waddle some days.

She still lays daily, but she can't keep up with the runners and the black swede drake, who barely eats at all although he's quite large (compared to the others).

Probably not much help, but just wanted to share what little exp I've had with it.

Hope your duck is fine. I know some of them just like to eat, meat birds more than others.

trish

Back
Top Bottom