Faverolles Thread

Every year something new will show up, whether it is off colors, extra toes and nails, split wing, beardlessness, side sprigs, and the list goes on.

While color is important, I think it is better to weed out those with obvious faults first. Then look at the overall conformation, and lastly color. If the birds are equal in form then select for color, otherwise choose the one with better type.

Now which male to keep will depend on your hens. What trait do you want to improve? Better wing carriage? Longer or shorter backs? Higher tailset? You will have to compare them to the hens to see which one would compensate the best for the trait you want to improve.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Keesmom. I am trying to focus on conformation and not color but this startled me a little! I wasn't expecting it. I will grow out what I have and evaluate for conformation and faults and go from there in the spring. So far I really like what I am seeing (except color) from two of the the three pullets. One of the boys is looking good too as far as type. Hopefully next spring I will have some hens to work with that are worth breeding forward.I have already culled for bad toes and a split wing with my original group.

I just need to keep at it and keep remembering what is important. I think only time and experience will get me where I want to go. I wish I had a local Favorelles breeder to work with this breed but I can't find anyone.

I am looking for some advice. This spring/summer I hatched out a few chicks from my hens and a cockerel I kept. I think my hens are pretty nice looking and so was the cockerel but I was surprised by the offspring. Out of the three pullets one has a nice color and clear breast and beard and the other two have a lot of color issues. One has dark flecks in her beard and the other has a salmon colored breast. The hens do not have these color issues.

I sold the cockerel this summer and have three that are growing out. When I pick my next cockerel what should I look for? Lighter beards? Less black? Any thoughts? I can provide pictures if wanted. Clearly I am new at this.

Breeding is tough, especially with Faverolles. You have to keep in mind that any bird you look at has floating around inside it many generations of genes. What is on the outside is only one specific result of specific genes from the mom and the dad pairing up to make your bird. Every time you breed, you take a gamble on what genes will match up and pop out. This is why breeding the very best stock is so important. Bad genes can show up many generations after they were introduced. It's like a ver big roulette wheel - if there are mostly good genes on the wheel, mostly good birds will result. If there are more poor genes on the wheel, the chances of hatching a champion bird drop considerably. What breeders strive for is to have ALL of the slots on the wheel filled with good genes.

Remember, with all breeds, you build the barn first before you paint it. If your barn's all wonky, you may have to wait several years for the paint, but the structure will be stronger overall.

Breeding is tough, especially with Faverolles.  You have to keep in mind that any bird you look at has floating around inside it many generations of genes.  What is on the outside is only one specific result of specific genes from the mom and the dad pairing up to make your bird.  Every time you breed, you take a gamble on what genes will match up and pop out.  This is why breeding the very best stock is so important.  Bad genes can show up many generations after they were introduced.  It's like a ver big roulette wheel - if there are mostly good genes on the wheel, mostly good birds will result.  If there are more poor genes on the wheel, the chances of hatching a champion bird drop considerably.  What breeders strive for is to have ALL of the slots on the wheel filled with good genes. 

Remember, with all breeds, you build the barn first before you paint it.  If your barn's all wonky, you may have to wait several years for the paint, but the structure will be stronger overall.  

If I wanted to get "good stock" Favorelles where do I go. Truly this is the breed I have wanted for 10 years. This is the breed I have wanted since before I had chickens. is the breed I still want.
For along time I have listened to people about how poorly the breed does as chicks and pullets. No longer listening... whom do I contact?

Thanks for the reply Keesmom. I am trying to focus on conformation and not color but this startled me a little! I wasn't expecting it. I will grow out what I have and evaluate for conformation and faults and go from there in the spring. So far I really like what I am seeing (except color) from two of the the three pullets. One of the boys is looking good too as far as type.

Unexpected genes are always going to pop up. Where did you get your original birds? How do you plan to set up your breeding pens? A second, somewhat related cockerel would be helpful in this situation since you no longer have your original male.

Next season hatch as many as you can.

If I wanted to get "good stock" Favorelles where do I go. Truly this is the breed I have wanted for 10 years. This is the breed I have wanted since before I had chickens. is the breed I still want.
For along time I have listened to people about how poorly the breed does as chicks and pullets. No longer listening... whom do I contact?

There are breeders in MA, OH and some on the west coast that I know of. I am sure there are others people here can recommend.

Are you looking for eggs or started birds? I don't know of anyone who ships chicks.

Last edited:

Here are a couple pics of Custard aka Cuss-word. She's actually a very very sweet bird. She's my one remaining Faverolle since something/one took her sister off of her hatching nest
1f615.png
. I hope to get a few more next year. Custard was an efowl purchase.

Unexpected genes are always going to pop up. Where did you get your original birds? How do you plan to set up your breeding pens? A second, somewhat related cockerel would be helpful in this situation since you no longer have your original male.

Next season hatch as many as you can.
I am hesitant to say where I got my original birds but they aren't hatchery and I would be happy to post pics if they would be helpful. I am hopeful still to get some eggs from Cloverleaf Farm this fall if she has any available. I did get a handful from her earlier this year but I had an incubator malfunction and lost all the eggs in that batch. I didn't manage to hatch many chicks of my own this spring because of broodiness. My two hens went broody one and then the other and I had a really difficult time breaking them.

My goal for next spring is to use my two hens and any of the three pullets that are growing out that have good conformation. I will most likely keep one cockerel through the winter but I may not use him if I am able to hatch a cockerel from Cloverleaf this fall. It is probably a bad idea to mix lines like that but I am not sure I have many options. Mostly I am looking to establish a flock that is producing consistent offspring of my own breeding.

I would eventually like to show a little (which I have never done) and sell eggs and chicks locally.

There are breeders in MA, OH and some on the west coast that I know of. I am sure there are others people here can recommend.

Are you looking for eggs or started birds? I don't know of anyone who ships chicks.
Hello Keesmom,

I prefer chicks or good quality started birds (pullets w/ a Cockeral) only because I have never incubated eggs before. I am afraid I might loose the whole bunch if I were to set eggs.

I will do it (set eggs) if it is the only way to have my birds but I do prefer a trio/quartet or two. If I were to set eggs I surely would set my own hens eggs at first, if only to get practice at incubating eggs. I know that it isn't as easy as it seems and if I were to loose them at first to lack of knowledge and experience, then I prefer they not be my Favorelles.

I am also hoping that one of the pullets I purchased this year is a broody girl as for me that would be the perfect answer.

I am hesitant to say where I got my original birds but they aren't hatchery and I would be happy to post pics if they would be helpful.

If you do not wish to mention the breeder that is fine. Though I hope you understand it was not my intention to criticize anything about those birds or their breeder. You hatched a very small number of offspring. It is very possible the off colors you got are not typical of that line.

Back
Top Bottom