Faverolles Thread

You may have done this, but i would research the internet regarding this….somewhere in my mind i remember reading that some cases can be traced to diet or how they are hatched….am not saying that it couldn't be hereditary too,

After checking a few sites, it could be hereditary, but also said incubatory humidity too low or riboflavin or vit. deficiency.

Last edited:
You may have done this, but i would research the internet regarding this….somewhere in my mind i remember reading that some cases can be traced to diet or how they are hatched….am not saying that it couldn't be hereditary too, 

After checking a few sites, it could be hereditary, but also said incubatory humidity too low or riboflavin or vit. deficiency.

I have researched and learned that as well. I have hatched other breeds too in the same incubator at the same time and never had problems.

I am not saying it isn't possible but these birds eat the same as my others, are hatched the same etc. I would think I would be seeing it with my others as well. I am stumped.

I have researched and learned that as well. I have hatched other breeds too in the same incubator at the same time and never had problems.

I am not saying it isn't possible but these birds eat the same as my others, are hatched the same etc. I would think I would be seeing it with my others as well. I am stumped.

I'd say start over and get new chicvs to breed from.

Well , may have to agree with maybe getting a new start….The gene pool really isn't that big…..There are many options, hatchery and quite a few breeders on this list…..a few weeks ago i listed a handful that were selling eggs and may still be so…some are high in price some are low….i would definently try something that was different than the bloodlines you have.

Or maybe try to get an unrelated male and see if that improves the toe issue?
Yes, I have tried to locate one but there just isn't anything available in my area. I did see a cock for sale locally at a poultry show but he wasn't much to look at. I think he was probably hatchery stock, I was tempted but ultimately passed on him.

I am on the waiting list for eggs so hopefully that pans out. I am also still considering buying chicks from Urch-Turnland if I don't have any luck with shipped eggs. Or I might do both so that I can get some chicks that aren't so closely related to breed from.

I only have four hens so it isn't that hard to start over. I had just hoped I could make this group work because I have invested the time and money into them.

I am also still considering buying chicks from Urch-Turnland if I don't have any luck with shipped eggs. Or I might do both so that I can get some chicks that aren't so closely related to breed from.
If you are seriously considering ordering from him you should call ASAP and check on availability. It's possible he's sold out for the year.

Hi new Faverole mommy here. I got Sam from a ranch store. I guess you can say by a blessing. Her first weeks she had pasty butt and was to the point that where ahead did not want to interact with me. Now she comes to my hand for a ride up to sit with me in the chair. But I noticed her Legg feathers are a bit curled maybe cause they are new? Anyway I am just amazed watching her feathers change daily she is a sweet girl and until lately was getting picked on but now she stands up to her bullies. Anyway here a pic of Sam if I knew then what I know now they be the only breed in my house.
here's here baby pic

Hi new Faverole mommy here. I got Sam from a ranch store. I guess you can say by a blessing. Her first weeks she had pasty butt and was to the point that where ahead did not want to interact with me. Now she comes to my hand for a ride up to sit with me in the chair. But I noticed her Legg feathers are a bit curled maybe cause they are new? Anyway I am just amazed watching her feathers change daily she is a sweet girl and until lately was getting picked on but now she stands up to her bullies. Anyway here a pic of Sam if I knew then what I know now they be the only breed in my house. here's here baby pic

I got a chick last spring. Her name was Chromis. When she was smaller I noticed that her leg feathers were curling. I think that they should be considering she's almost a year old now and still has curly leg feathers. They didn't get that log and they are very few on her toes. I bought her from a hatchery. She also has an missing joint on one of her extra toes, does that effect show quality? I've trained her for show so if you guy want me to get pictures I can get them easily. She's also my first Faverolles and I am definitely impressed with the breed. So docile!
love.gif

Here's a pic (sorry, it's very windy right now):

Last edited:
I got a chick last spring. Her name was Chromis. When she was smaller I noticed that her leg feathers were curling. I think that they should be considering she's almost a year old now and still has curly leg feathers. They didn't get that log and they are very few on her toes. I bought her from a hatchery. She also has an missing joint on one of her extra toes, does that effect show quality? I've trained her for show so if you guy want me to get pictures I can get them easily. She's also my first Faverolles and I am definitely impressed with the breed. So docile!:love Here's a pic (sorry, it's very windy right now):
this is my first time starting with chicks and having a favorelle. i never showed chicks either. But it's a relief that she is doing good

Back
Top Bottom