Faverolles Thread

I have a couple of spare Salmon Roosters in Lindsborg, KS. An hour and 15 minutes north of Wichita, if that is close enough?

I have both Salmon and Mahogany Faverolles (LF). These are big chunky birds, with good toes and combs. They are productive layers with great fertility. I do have room in the incubator to hatch some if anyone is interested. NPIP Cert. $8.00/chick for Mahogany - $6.00/chick for Salmon. $35.00 shipping - 15 chick minimum.

I have both Salmon and Mahogany Faverolles (LF). These are big chunky birds, with good toes and combs. They are productive layers with great fertility. I do have room in the incubator to hatch some if anyone is interested. NPIP Cert. $8.00/chick for Mahogany - $6.00/chick for Salmon. $35.00 shipping - 15 chick minimum.
I don't suppose you sell hatching egg's?

So can a hen and or rooster with poor beard, coloring still produce offspring with better quality or is it all down hill from there? I would post photos but they do not belong to me.
In general it's all downhill from there. However how is their type? Comb, wings, tailset, etc?

So can a hen and or rooster with poor beard, coloring still produce offspring with better quality or is it all down hill from there? I would post photos but they do not belong to me.

In general it's all downhill from there. However how is their type? Comb, wings, tailset, etc?

Tails good, beard so-so. Several hens have scatting of black feather's Nice round body shape look like football's.
So my Best hope is good disposition and average egg layers. I'm going to Hope a couple are decent and go from there. Ill post pictures of the hatchlings and as they grow for you all to critic.

Tails good, beard so-so. Several hens have scatting of black feather's Nice round body shape look like football's.
So my Best hope is good disposition and average egg layers. I'm going to Hope a couple are decent and go from there. Ill post pictures of the hatchlings and as they grow for you all to critic.

I don't know about breeding faverolles, specifically, but certain traits are inherited from male vs female. Like of the roo has a poor tail set, pair him with a hen with a good tail set, that sort of thing, even if they've got other flaws. If you keep track of traits and generations, you might be able to map out a better bird. Don't cull too hard, wait for them to get a little older and you'll have a better idea of what to do. Just my opinion, I know nothing of faverolles! But don't give up! Look for the positives! Works for lots of things :)

Look at it this way. There is NO perfect bird, even from the best lines. All will have faults of some sort that need work. It's just that some are more work than others. If they are decent otherwise, then you have a good start. Pick out one thing you want to improve next season.

Even if they are hatchery stock you can get some valuable experience in breeding. Such as picking out your breeders, who to pair up, get a chance to see what works and what doesn't, and so on. If you decide you want better beards then pick the ones that should improve that trait.

Back
Top Bottom