Faverolles Thread

I am getting some salmon faverolles the second week of April from McMurray. I didn't want to go hatchery because of my bad experiences with Ideal, but I've heard good things about McMurray. Many of our feed stores use Privett out of New Mexico and those chicks have done well, but I don't think they breed SFs.

I am so excited! Please let me know if anyone has any nice breeder stock for shipment. As I'm in southern Arizona, it's imperative that I ship before May because it gets so hot here!
Privett does offer SF's for sale.

I don't see any responsesto your responses. I am in Byron, Ga South of Macon on I-75. I bought a dozen straight run Salmon Faverolles from The Georgia Mad Hatcher yesterday. He is just South of the Georgia Ag Center in Perry. He has a very nice clean breeding and hatching operation. I got the first of a new hatch. Mine are very healthy. He is NPIP. He had several more chicks from that hatch in the brooder. He has a website with all of the information you should need. Feel free to contact me if you need further information. He ships eggs but not chicks.

Byron from Byron.

Thanks for the response! Sending you a PM!

Thanks mame1616. I appreciate all the responses. I realize everyone does things a little differently and I will ultimately have to decide what works best for me. Mainly I was concerned about the calcium and it sounds like I don't need to worry as long as I continue providing oyster shell. I will probably start by switching to flock raiser and go from there. (I also do the kelp, because I am also crazy
smile.png
haven't seen the kickin chicken though!)

Thanks mame1616. I appreciate all the responses. I realize everyone does things a little differently and I will ultimately have to decide what works best for me. Mainly I was concerned about the calcium and it sounds like I don't need to worry as long as I continue providing oyster shell. I will probably start by switching to flock raiser and go from there. (I also do the kelp, because I am also crazy
smile.png

Do you free range them? It can help to spread oyster shell around the yard; sometimes they're more excited to eat it when they "find" it.

I feed all my girls grower feed, and most of them are doing fine. My poor Marans had a hard time getting started, and we got a few paper eggs from her because she wasn't eating the oyster shell. After some Tums crushed into scrambled eggs, she got back on track.

Estamets, I do free range. What I usually do is put piles outside during the non snowy seasons and also put some inside in a feeder. I did just see these really neat grit/oyster shell feeding stands that I can probably convince myself to spend the money on. I just don't always trust them to do the right thing and eat the oyster shell.

I had a hatchery buff orpington that laid great for the first 6 months and then started to lay shell-less eggs. She was laying internally and ultimately died. I had a necropsy done and it showed she had growths all over her ovaries and clearly was sick but...I was so paranoid during that time that she wasn't getting enough calcium. It wasn't my fault in the end but those things have a way of sticking with me.

I don't see any responsesto your responses. I am in Byron, Ga South of Macon on I-75. I bought a dozen straight run Salmon Faverolles from The Georgia Mad Hatcher yesterday. He is just South of the Georgia Ag Center in Perry. He has a very nice clean breeding and hatching operation. I got the first of a new hatch. Mine are very healthy. He is NPIP. He had several more chicks from that hatch in the brooder. He has a website with all of the information you should need. Feel free to contact me if you need further information. He ships eggs but not chicks.

Byron from Byron.

I thought this name sounded familiar... The Georgia Mad Hatter sells his Faverolles hatching eggs on ebay and claims that his stock is show quality. IMO They don't look like show quality birds, but I'll let more experience people chime in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NPIP-SAL...172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636f73c24

I'm not saying he doesn't have healthy stock, just that I think meltonmb18 was looking for SQ and I'm not so sure that these are.

Last edited:
smile.png

I get the Kickin' Chicken at TSC. You can also get it online from different vendors.

Back
Top Bottom