Faverolles Thread

OK, I looked at Coastline Poultry but shied away from them since their colors are mixed. Does that matter when looking at getting show quality Favs? Won't their lines always carry the Blue color? Newby here trying to get it right. Would love to hear from those with more experience in this area.
The blue can be bred out. Blue does not breed true.

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash

Blue salmon and splash salmon cockerels, as well as splash salmon pullets, are easily identified and can be removed from the gene pool. Try to weed out the blue salmon pullets. However blue salmon pullets can be difficult to distinguish from salmon, so you may end up with one in the breeding pen anyway. If that happens a blue salmon cockerel will eventually result from that pairing. At that point you'd have to rummage through your hens to figure out which one is blue.

Last edited:
Type is always more important than color. Both the white and the yellow are acceptable, although the standard calls for straw. I know in my boys, the mahogany lightened, and the straw darkened, with age. You've got a nice group there - a lot of good material to work with, if you're planning on breeding.

Thank you! I would like to breed SQ/BQ birds, and I am starting to get a grasp on what I should be looking for, but it is still so overwhelming.

Quote:
After speaking to many breeders, of several different breeds, I can assure you that you are on a lifelong learning journey. A bit depressing when you think about it - what do you mean I'll never know everything?!? But - asking questions is the first, best step. Observation over time is another great teacher, as well as meeting up to see other people's birds at shows. I learned a lot that way.

I know that interpreting the standard to a live bird can be difficult. Medium width? Slight feathering? Compared to what?? It's hard to apply that to an animal in front of you. It's something you learn over time. By sharing the knowledge together, and making informed breeding choices, everyone will benefit.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me coming here to ask a question....I have already asked over on the "what breed is this" thread and got nada.

Long story short, I had a moment of weakness at TSC last week and 6 assorted bantam chicks hitched a ride home in my truck. I've got one chick that is buff-colored with what looks like a beard and muffs, and 5 toes. Is this a bantam faverolle chick? I realize that coming from TSC, it isn't likely to be very good quality, but I can't figure out what breed it is supposed to be. I have Marans, Ameraucanas and Polish, so I don't have any experience with Faverolles and hence don't know what the chicks typically look like. This is the closest breed I came up with, in terms of the traits I have observed in this chick. It's a cute little rascal, no matter what it is, but I would like to figure out the breed.
That being said, I have fallen in love with the faverolles since I have been doing my research on this chick, and I will definitely be wanting to add them to my flock in the future! :)

Ok, here are a couple of pics of my mystery chick.

Here are her little drumsticks. ;) The 5 toes are what made me think she might be at least part faverolle.

Any idea what she is? (besides cute?)

Thanks,
Katja

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me coming here to ask a question....I have already asked over on the "what breed is this" thread and got nada.

Long story short, I had a moment of weakness at TSC last week and 6 assorted bantam chicks hitched a ride home in my truck. I've got one chick that is buff-colored with what looks like a beard and muffs, and 5 toes. Is this a bantam faverolle chick? I realize that coming from TSC, it isn't likely to be very good quality, but I can't figure out what breed it is supposed to be. I have Marans, Ameraucanas and Polish, so I don't have any experience with Faverolles and hence don't know what the chicks typically look like. This is the closest breed I came up with, in terms of the traits I have observed in this chick. It's a cute little rascal, no matter what it is, but I would like to figure out the breed.
That being said, I have fallen in love with the faverolles since I have been doing my research on this chick, and I will definitely be wanting to add them to my flock in the future! :)

Ok, here are a couple of pics of my mystery chick.

Here are her little drumsticks. ;) The 5 toes are what made me think she might be at least part faverolle.

Any idea what she is? (besides cute?)

Thanks,
Katja

It's a buff cochin. you can see the round body shape from the side photo. and faverolles are yellow at hatch not so much orange

Can you explain why you think Silkie? I had ruled that breed out because 1. pink skin, not black, 2. "normal" (not silkie) wing feathers coming in, and 3. no sign whatsoever of a topknot.

Thanks,
Katja

Ok, Cochin kinda makes more sense (and the other chicks I got were various Cochins,) but where in the world did that 5th toe come from?

Thanks,
Katja

Back
Top Bottom