Faverolles Thread

I just hatched out some fat fluffy babies from my Faverolles trio. The thing is, some of the chicks have very light "chipmunk" striping in black. On a few it is as subtle as a couple of dots. I don't have a picture currently but I can get one. I know it indicates dirty genetics but I'm wondering if you all know what it could be?
It's not unusual at all, and it does not affect their adult plumage in any way.

ISO faverolle bantams in nc. I would like to purchase only 3 hens/pullets for now as this is my son's first try at chickens. If this goes well we will build a larger coop. All my research says these are good over all for friendliness and egg laying.

Best of Luck, Bantam Favs. are in general very sweet gentle birds......but as in any breed, mostly spring even the boys can get a bit testy.....i only have a pair now but love them.....

Hello! I just won some Salmon Faverolles hatching eggs on eBay. I was wondering what should I watch for so I'll have nice pretty birds like the pictures I see?
Congrats on the hatching eggs! Good luck with your hatch!

Faverolles can be of varying quality. They're always fun to have, but some folks might want a potential show bird and they would want it to align to the Standard Of Perfection. In general, it helps to get them from a breeder who selects for SOP traits, and the longer they've been doing that, the better. It sounds like you have obtained your eggs from a breeder, so you're already on a good path.
Even with show quality parents, though, genetics sometimes lead to many different offspring.

Here is what feathersite had to say about the SOP for Salmon Faverolles:

The overall shape of the bird should be trapezoidal and the feathering rather fluffy. Wide backs and chests are a necessity. Deep in keel with carriage well centered. Revered in the females are feathers that go backwards in the side of the hackle. The beard and muff should be extreme with little to no wattle at all. Fullness of beard is desired over length, with the beard covering the ear lobe. Face , comb, and earlobe should be red. Eye color red bay. The comb is single, and medium in size with five points and no serrations. This breed has five separate toes and skin and leg color are white. Light feathering should appear on the outside of the leg and outer toes. There is a slight break between the feathers of the body and leg....Type should always be given preference over color, not only in the show pen, but in the breeding pen as well.
(Excerpt from Feathersite)

Good luck with your shipped eggs- we'd love to see some baby pictures when you hatch them :)

Chicks should have some fluff around their cheeks at hatch but that is no indicator of how full the beard/muff will be at adulthood.

Hi all! After 8 years of begging my husband, we are finally going to get chickens!! I'm super excited!! I really want some favs in my flock but I live in Western WA where it rains ALL THE TIME .... Ok, I'm exaggerating just a smidge but seriously, a LOT! Are favs okay in wet conditions?? I'll have a dry coop, of course, and there will be a few areas in the run for then to get out of the rain but I just wanted to be sure they would do okay before I got them! Thank you for any/all input!

Back
Top Bottom