Favorite actions or sounds of your birds?

Our rooster must not be as good as yours XD Hes not even a year old yet so that might also be why but yeah I feel bad when Roo does it for so long but the girls aren't focusing on him lol. When it comes to food he'll eat the crumble and stuff with the girls but when it comes to scraps/treats he starts trying to give it to the girls. Never seen him peck a bully more like the girls body slam him sometimes when hes trying to mate another lol. As for nighttime honestly he's usually the first one in lol.

The serama boy is 6 months old. LF birds take longer to mature, both mentally and physically, in my experience. I don't see anything too bad with what your boy is doing. He might just be less successful at getting the girl's attention when it comes to food. They'll figure that out eventually. As for roosting, it's the male that initiates roosting most nights

I really hope atleast one of our girls go broody next year and hatch out some chicks. I'm really wanting it to be our friendliest girl Rosemary. But at this point I really want to experience a hen takeing care of her babies rather than raising chicks in a brooder. I see soo many videos and its sooo adorable but I want that first hand experience XD

It really is a magical experience. I only just started getting broodies myself, and I'm in LOVE!

The serama boy is 6 months old. LF birds take longer to mature, both mentally and physically, in my experience. I don't see anything too bad with what your boy is doing. He might just be less successful at getting the girl's attention when it comes to food. They'll figure that out eventually. As for roosting, it's the male that initiates roosting most nights
Roo is a easter egger and also 6 weeks younger than the 9 girls. Were hoping hes remains close to as he is. He takes decent care of his girls from what we know and he's not showing any human aggression. His father was the rooster for my sister in laws flock until he got aggressive. Him being younger may also be why the girls still try to boss him around lol.

I really hope our girls don't go broody yet. It's to late and cold for them to be doing that lol. I need them to wait till a few months lol. Were just barely above freezing temps during day.

But once were back to decent weather atleast February or march they can go broody if they want lol.

Love watching them play soccer with grapes!!
Try a mouse. Ours occasionally finds a dead mouse in the yard one of our cats left. The chicken who sees it first grabs it and runs with the rest of them all running behind. We call that chicken football.

Some things mine do that I think is just the cutest - when we're out on a walk around the yard and they see a hawk they all freeze, start growling then run and cluster around my feet while looking up at me like they're saying "well mom, are you going to deal with that or what so we can get back to digging in the leaves?" That growling noise just cracks me up. I have one that will come up and just stare up at me and bump into my legs cause she wants me to pick her up and carry her around so all the other chickens can see how special she is. I have one that if I bend over she will jump on my back and as I stand up she migrates to my shoulder and will sit there. She's a big girl and I'm pretty short so that can be awkward!(I have a special shirt/jacket I wear now so I don't get poop all over me-LOL) If I try to do any outside work they all want to see exactly what I'm doing and help. I have one that likes to pick up the carabiner clip I use to secure the coop door and run off with it, of course the rest of them have to chase her because ooooh shiny. I made sure the clip is too big to eat. When I shut up the coop at night I say goodnight girlies and they all answer me with little chirps and clucks, same thing when I open the coop in the morning. Some people say rhode island reds aren't friendly (and maybe the roosters often aren't) but my hens are super friendly and sweet.

Try a mouse. Ours occasionally finds a dead mouse in the yard one of our cats left. The chicken who sees it first grabs it and runs with the rest of them all running behind. We call that chicken football.

I wish mine did that. My dogs enjoy killing mice and leaving their bodies in the yard, but my chickens look at the mouse bodies like they're made of poison! I wind up having to bury them.

Back
Top Bottom