Favorite Pepper Varieties to Grow?

Apr 30, 2022
A month and a half or so ago, I created a thread asking what all of your favorite heirloom tomato varieties were. Since then I've gotten lots of great information on growing tomatoes, and you all have influenced us to purchase seeds for several more promising tomato varieties (such as Black Krim, the Tie Dye tomato, ect).

So now I'm wondering, what're your favorite pepper varieties to grow (both sweet and spicy peppers included)?

Thanks,

Marconi peppers, as noted above, are large Italian type. They are very good, sweet not hot. We find that they produce well. They are nice for roasting too. This year we grew “thunderbolt” and “Giant Marconi” and it appears that they must be the same pepper.

We tend to look for a red, sweet pepper, but don’t generally grow bell types.

This year we grew Anaheim peppers, which should be slightly hot, but these have not been hot. Heat can very due to a variety of things, so maybe the source, maybe a little bit if the soil or heat, rain, etc.

We grow many different peppers each year. Basically, we will look at several sources and select based on the description.

Here is one harvest, we’ve harvested a similar amount 3x already. We have about 50 plants this year, across 15 (or so) varieties.
AA2E5907-7F93-43AB-AB10-51E06013AE08.jpeg

Peppers LOVE full, all day sun! Peppers need regular water too. We always place them in an all-day sun area, We leave them on the plant until fully red too. One year, voles decided to live in the raised bed and dug tunnels here and there and the peppers suffered due to the tunneling that exposed the roots to air, etc.

We like both yelliw bell and mammoth jalapenos here. While I grow others like pablano and anaheim the mammoth jalapenos are my favorite.

I have never found seeds but do find started plants at Hone Depot most years. They produce lots of 6-7 inch straight peppers that are fantastic stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and roasted on the grill.

Really good growing tips from @Acre4Me above. :thumbsup

Where we are I find my bell peppers get sunburn if they don't get some afternoon shade.

the mammoth jalapenos are my favorite.

I have never found seeds but do find started plants at Hone Depot most years. They produce lots of 6-7 inch straight peppers that are fantastic stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and roasted on the grill.
If you want seeds, you can let one of the peppers get all the way ripe, and save the seeds for future years.

Quite a few pepper varieties do breed true, but even if it's a hybrid the seeds will still produce peppers that somewhat resemble the parent.

Thank you for all of the informative responses!!

Marconi.
Banana Pepper.
Marconi peppers, as noted above, are large Italian type. They are very good, sweet not hot. We find that they produce well. They are nice for roasting too. This year we grew “thunderbolt” and “Giant Marconi” and it appears that they must be the same pepper.
We do have banana pepper seeds, and I will definitely keep an eye out for the Marconi pepper! I've never heard of it, thank you for sharing!

Thanks for all of the useful growing tips, @Acre4Me!

We like both yelliw bell and mammoth jalapenos here. While I grow others like pablano and anaheim the mammoth jalapenos are my favorite.

I'll keep the mammoth jalapeno in mind!

They produce lots of 6-7 inch straight peppers that are fantastic stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and roasted on the grill.
Where we are I find my bell peppers get sunburn if they don't get some afternoon shade.

Good to know, thanks!

Aji, chile petines and rooster spurs are my favorites.

Thank you for sharing!

My peppers did not do well this year. 😕

However, in the past I have grown jalapeños and they did great! I love jalapeño poppers and Pico de Gallo, so that was a yummy summer 😁
Sorry to hear about a bad pepper season. 😕 Hopefully you'll have better luck next year!

We do have jalapeno seeds, I'm looking forward to growing them next year!

I think the horticulturists at Texas A&M University ruined the jalapeno pepper. It is getting difficult to fine the traditional dark green netted kind with good heat. When buying jalapenos at the store you never know what you'll get. Maybe hot, maybe not.

If you are growing multiple kinds of peppers you can't really keep seeds because they will cross pollinate and you never know what what will come up from them.

Back
Top Bottom