Favorite Resource

ketojenn

Crowing
Jun 18, 2018
North Dakota
I received a couple ducklings with my surprise box last month and even though I did not want ducks, they have grown on me. I think I have a WH and KC. This has led me to read a lot on here and I'm liking the idea of reducing my chicken flock and growing a small duck flock.

I'm interested in Ancona and Welsh Harlequins right now and was wondering where the best place to order ducklings would be. Based on your experiences, where do you prefer to order from?

Please and thank you:D

I received a couple ducklings with my surprise box last month and even though I did not want ducks, they have grown on me. I think I have a WH and KC. This has led me to read a lot on here and I'm liking the idea of reducing my chicken flock and growing a small duck flock.

I'm interested in Ancona and Welsh Harlequins right now and was wondering where the best place to order ducklings would be. Based on your experiences, where do you prefer to order from?

Please and thank you:D

Greetings, and welcome to the world of ducks!

I raise welsh harlequins, and I purchased mine from a local breeder. She got her original stock about 8-10 years ago from Metzer, and has been selectively breeding since then.

I prefer purchasing local to avoid the crazy (but understandable) shipping fees. But there are A LOT of poor-quality ducks out there. A lot of mixes, and a lot of birds that do not match their breed standard at all. If purchasing local, be sure you trust the seller and be sure to ask to see the adults.

Good luck!

I haven't gotten ducks from them, but I've gotten the majority of my chickens from Meyer Hatchery and have always been impressed with them - if I wasn't buying local, that's who I would go with if I was buying ducklings unless I wanted a breed I couldn't find available there.

Thanks, I was looking at metzer, but they can't ship to north Dakota right now. Our state has restricted all California shipped birds due to the Newcastle outbreak.

I don't know of any breeders locally, things are pretty spread out and hard to find here.

I will be traveling to NE Indiana this month if anyone knows a seller in that tri-state area or along the way. :D

Back
Top Bottom