feather-less bellies

sweetmama65000

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
nashville, n.c.
I hope I am only over-reacting, but both of my hens have bald spots on their bellies. my roo doesn't. i haven't actually seen a molting chicken, but what pics i've seen on the site don't look like my girls. they both have two large bald patches on both sides of their bellies, smooth as a baby's butt. they are both eating, drinking and pooping like normal. i rubbed my fingers over the spots and they don't act like they're painful, just bald. is this something bad or are they molting? any help would be appreciated.

i love this site!!!

Do you notice them sitting or starting to collect eggs? Some hens will pull their chest feathers out when they sit so the eggs have direct contact with their body heat.

Hi,
Your hens are going "broody". My girls actually loose their belly feathers by themselves when they get in the "setting" mood. I have 2 hens just going broody now and getting fussy over sitting on some eggs.

If you have checked for parasites, then most likely your girls are ready to set on some eggs.

Best wishes

no, i collect the eggs every day. what will happen if they go broody and don't have an egg to sit on? do i need to stop collecting them and see what happens?

Sweetmomma.....definately sounds like they are going broody. If you want them to hatch out babies for you....try collecting the eggs, and putting them in a carton, on the kitchen counter, untill you get however many you want themt o set....then, lay them in the nest all at the same time...see if she sets them. Good luck...Oh I wish MINE would go broody!!

Thanks. after reading the posts, i put 2 nesting boxes in the hutch, and PJ immediately jumped in. she and Monica both laid eggs in it today. do they still lay eggs when they are going broody? if so, how long before they actually start sitting on the eggs? i definitely want some more chicks, and i don't have an incubator. will both the girls brood at the same time? sorry i've got so many questions, but i just want my babies to be o.k. i feel like a nervous mama.

thanks again!

Sabrina

even if you collect the eggs everyday{make sure you turn them once a day}i have seen some people put golfballs or plastic eggs in the nest just incase they decide to start sitting! cornishman.
jumpy.gif

that's a great idea. that way i can decide how many to put back if and when they do start brooding. i can't have too many hatching, or my dh will have a cow! (oh, if only he could!!)

thanks, all.

sabrina

Sweetmama- Putting a couple golfballs in their favorite nest works for two of my hens (a cochin and a silkie, natch). My other two hens couldn't care less... They'd rather be out hunting worms.
D.gif

I am waiting for my pekins to go broody. As soon as they are on the nest I am going to the local poultry auction for some hatching eggs as I definately want to hatch some silkies.

Tessa

Back
Top Bottom