Madhava

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
My 8 week old gosling and my runner ducks have feather lice.
I've dusted them with DE and cleaned their house and put DE there but they are still suffering. Feathers are starting to look raggedy! I can see the suckers on their feathers! Yikes!
I've looked around and some people use Ivermectin. Have anyone used Ivermectin? If so, how?
This is the one I was looking into: https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Ivermectin-Pour-1-Lt/dp/B000HHM6I0/
I also was looking into Permethrin? I'm like a freak with all natural but it looks like I might have to use this?
https://www.amazon.com/CHEMTECH-BC698321-Prozap-Garden-Poultry/dp/B001BM4JLM/

Anyone have experience with this?

Please help!

Thanks!

Diatomaceous earth does not work and causes respiratory harm
Ivermectin is dangerous I’ve heard of ducks and geese dying
Permethrin is your best choice. There’s also something called elector PSP.
I have ducks and geese, but they’ve never had any parasites
Then I got chickens and I deal with parasites on them
When I found lice eggs on my chickens are used DE at first also before I knew it was no help
Then I got the permethrin powder and dusted them
I also got permethrin liquid and mixed it and sprayed their coops
you have to do it a second treatment in I think 7 to 10 days
There are a lot of threads on here and some articles with all the information about fighting parasites
I’ll see if I can find any and paste them here because
I forget what the exact dosing is

Diatomaceous earth does not work and causes respiratory harm
Ivermectin is dangerous I’ve heard of ducks and geese dying
Permethrin is your best choice. There’s also something called elector PSP.
I have ducks and geese, but they’ve never had any parasites
Then I got chickens and I deal with parasites on them
When I found lice eggs on my chickens are used DE at first also before I knew it was no help
Then I got the permethrin powder and dusted them
I also got permethrin liquid and mixed it and sprayed their coops
you have to do it a second treatment in I think 7 to 10 days
There are a lot of threads on here and some articles with all the information about fighting parasites
I’ll see if I can find any and paste them here because
I forget what the exact dosing is
Hi! Thanks Jen.
I cleaned their house and put Permethrin powder under the bedding as per bottle instructions.
Now, Elector PSP is just Spinosad so I did my research and bought Spinosad ( same kind as teh Elector PSP), made a solution as per instructions and sprayed it all over their bodies last night before going to bed. SO MANY LICE! everywhere! I was shocked..
This morning they woke up ITCHY... like way too Itchy so I'm guessing an allergic reaction ? but the main thing is they won't dry! I'm worry because I'm assuming the spray messed up their oily feathers and today ( out of all sunny days we've been having) is RAINY! and they are all soaked!!! and shiverish ... I'm so worried...
Should I bring them in the house and dry them ? I don't know what to do... I'm guessing with time they'll bring the oil back to the feathers...??? I'm so worried I did something wrong..

I mixed it as per instructions, 1 part Spinosad, 4 parts water. The kind I got is not as concentrated as the Elector PSP so the mixing is different. I used this one on the photo. I consulted with a local that has ducks and geese and she said it's fine, she said, they will not look pretty for a bit but they'll coat themselves back with their oil. I think next time I'll use the Poultry POwder ( Permethrin) instead .. as to not strip their oils from their fathers ...

It's a constant learning process..

I was trying not to use chemicals (Permethrin) but I learned quickly that liquid is best not to use on ducks and geese.

I'm praying for sun... so they'll dry up. Good thing is that in Hawaii it doesn't get cold... so it just happen to be a wet day when I needed a sunny day...

I'm thinking that they are getting these parasites from the doves who come and eat their food... I just have not figure out how to keep the doves out yet...

71fEaz7AY1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Have you let them swim to wash off as much as possible? then they will preen and spread the oils back over their feathers.
Actually, since it's geese and ducks I would go with Poultry protector. Since it's a spray. When my chicken had mites I used the powder because i could put it into a paper bag place my chicken down into it feet first close the bag up around their neck and gently shake until they were coated with the powder. That way they didn't get to inhale much of it or me either.
Poultry protector and Permethrin would be my choice.

I mixed it as per instructions, 1 part Spinosad, 4 parts water. The kind I got is not as concentrated as the Elector PSP so the mixing is different. I used this one on the photo. I consulted with a local that has ducks and geese and she said it's fine, she said, they will not look pretty for a bit but they'll coat themselves back with their oil. I think next time I'll use the Poultry POwder ( Permethrin) instead .. as to not strip their oils from their fathers ...

It's a constant learning process..

I was trying not to use chemicals (Permethrin) but I learned quickly that liquid is best not to use on ducks and geese.

I'm praying for sun... so they'll dry up. Good thing is that in Hawaii it doesn't get cold... so it just happen to be a wet day when I needed a sunny day...

I'm thinking that they are getting these parasites from the doves who come and eat their food... I just have not figure out how to keep the doves out yet...

View attachment 3606318
It’s only 5% spinosad and does not say what the other 95% is in there … I would be afraid to use that. I hope they are okay 🙏

https://www.mannapro.com/poultry/supplements-care/poultry-protector

I use neem to spray my coops down when my chickens had mites it mixes with hot water and I put it into a pump garden sprayer cleaned out all the old bedding bagged it up and carried it off then sprayed the coops top to bottom with the neem [found at most garden centers]

Back
Top Bottom