Feather loss and egg production

Linda4949

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Wetumpka Alabama
We bought four hens in April. Three of the hens have laid eggs, but one Rhode Island Red has yet to lay the first egg. She eats good, she has been dusted for parasites and she seems healthy so we don't know about her. The other three have been fine. But now, one of the Black Stars stopped laying eggs last Saturday and her feathers are falling out. I say falling out because I don't think it is feather picking as described on internet. You can see them in the coop, roosting area and on the ground in the outside run area. We have dusted all the girls with Food Grade DE powder and today when we picked her to check her, the feathers were coming out in our hands. She eats, does not seem sick, does not appear to be egg bound. Do they molt this time of year? It has been hot, but we have a small fan installed in the coop to circulate the air. The others are not losing their feathers so I don't know what else to check for. When we got her she was beautiful, extremely loud and perky. Since she stopped laying eggs we never hear her make any sounds, but she is not lethargic either. Her poo is not unusual either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you know exactly how old they are? Though unusual, a molt can happen at any time.
I would be very interested in hearing about their diet. Please be specific and precise.

We don't know their ages. We bought them from a reputable farmer and asked for young laying hens, but he had so many to pick from we just don't know. We feed them Nutrina laying crumbles (16% protein) and Nutrina Omega 3 laying pellets. I throw them a handful of scratch in the morning. When they are in their outside run area (10ft x 10ft) I have been giving them some tomatoes, cantaloupe, lettuce, corn, and bread when we have it. But that's not every day. They also have a container of oyster shell in the coop area so they have it when they want it and a separate container of grit. They don't eat the grit like they do the crushed oyster shell. Oh and we do give them a few mealworms after we gather them up in the coop for a dusting. We have dusted them with food grade DE powder three time since April 19th. Today, before we dusted them, Little Bit, the one that has never laid, had visible signs of parasites on her bottom area. Should I be using something beside DE powder. I have dusted their roost area and clean it out every week. I have also dusted their nests.

Once you have parasites, it's time for more drastic measures. A thorough dusting with 5% Sevin powder.
If molting, as long as you're providing oyster shell for those still laying, I might try switching to a higher protein grower feed for a while.

I've ordered a poultry dust to apply. She is eating very good, but their are feathers everywhere. Today I saw one on the long tail feathers in the coop. I don't see any dust on the end so I'm wondering if it is a molt.

Back
Top Bottom