Feather loss on neck

Omijo

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
Hey there! I have 3 golden comet hens who have been living a happy life with me for about 15 months. But, one has had missing neck feathers on her front side since last fall (nearly a year). At first i thought she was molting but its only in the one spot and it never grew back. It seems to only be worsening over time. As far as I can tell they get along great. Although, I did notice once that the others were pecking at her when she was egg bound. I separated her immediately and the situation passed. I never noticed her being picked on again. They do have a pretty small roosting area but free range most days for 4 hours+. I don't suspect mites or disease as the others are unaffected. I haven't seen her plucking them out herself but I have a hunch that she does. My hunch stems from the understanding that golden comets are high yielding egg producers and that this might cause a protein deficiency. Also the location of the missing feathers seems so personal, a straight line down the length of her neck. But, I'm no expert. This is my first flock. I am curious if anyone has experienced this with comets or other high yield breeds. Is there any merit to my hunch? Any suggestions on getting her feathers to grow back? Could a high protein chick feed be helpful for her?

I worry about her for the coming winter with a bare spot on her neck.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow if I can get her cooperation. (She's a a little on the feisty side!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
They do have a pretty small roosting area but free range most days for 4 hours+.
Photos of your set up? 4 hours of free ranging doesn't make up for a small enclosure the rest of the time, where boredom can become an issue.
My hunch stems from the understanding that golden comets are high yielding egg producers and that this might cause a protein deficiency.
What are they currently eating, including treats? Protein % of feed please.

Feed from tractor supply is16% protein
Scratch grains 8% protein
Plus free range of a .5 acre
How often do you give scratch and how much? 16% protein is minimal, so increasing protein % and decreasing/eliminating scratch (especially if you're giving more than 1 Tbsp or so per bird each day) may help.

1/2 acre is great for free range, but it's more of the time spent free ranging (or with the option to do so) vs time confined.

Here are a few photo

Attachments

• 20230829_093624.jpg
    20230829_093624.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230829_093602.jpg
    20230829_093602.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230829_093631.jpg
    20230829_093631.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 12
How often do you give scratch and how much? 16% protein is minimal, so increasing protein % and decreasing/eliminating scratch (especially if you're giving more than 1 Tbsp or so per bird each day) may help.

1/2 acre is great for free range, but it's more of the time spent free ranging (or with the option to do so) vs time confined.
I throw them a few handfuls to get there attention and call them in. So, yeah more than a Tbsp.

I do give them mealworms and scrambled eggs occasionally which they LOVE. I'll make those treats a daily addition.

The run is 8x8. The roosting area is 3x3.

Thanks!

The photos help, thank you. I think she looks pretty good IMO, I was expecting a giant bald patch but the neck area is still mostly covered with feathers. The missing feathers likely bother you more than her. How cold does it get in winter that you're worried about her being cold without them?
I throw them a few handfuls to get there attention and call them in. So, yeah more than a Tbsp.

I do give them mealworms and scrambled eggs occasionally which they LOVE. I'll make those treats a daily addition.

The run is 8x8. The roosting area is 3x3.
And just 3 birds? That's a good space for 3 in the run, more than I was expecting since you said it was small. Coop's a bit tighter.

I'd up the protein in the feed itself rather than try to supplement protein via treats, because increasing mealworms instead also adds more fat to their diet.

Thanks for responding! Glad to hear it's not too bad. It doesn't seem to bother her.
The photos help, thank you. I think she looks pretty good IMO, I was expecting a giant bald patch but the neck area is still mostly covered with feathers. The missing feathers likely bother you more than her. How cold does it get in winter that you're worried about her being cold without them?

And just 3 birds? That's a good space for 3 in the run, more than I was expecting since you said it was small. Coop's a bit tighter.

I'd up the protein in the feed itself rather than try to supplement protein via treats, because increasing mealworms instead also adds more fat to their diet.
Thanks for responding! Glad to hear it's not too bad. I'm in VA so winter's aren't too bad but we did get a few nights below 10 degrees last year that had me worried. I'll look for a higher protein feed!

Back
Top Bottom