Feather picking

bstala

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
I have had a bad problem with feather picking on my small flock,I've tried so many things to try and stop it...please respond if you know any ways to stop it...thanks

What have you tried, the main reason for feather picking is protein deficiency, or crowding, not enough room, or boredom.

They have plenty of room,and good amounts of protein in their diet...I don't think they are bored either

Could you describe what you mean by feather-picking? Are they all picking each other bare, is it only a few that are doing the picking or being picked, or are you talking about them eating feathers just floating around? What have you seen as far as picking and eating feathers?

Have you checked for mites or lice? A lot of the time the symptoms can look like feather picking.

Chickens can get calcium from a lot of different sources other than layer feed or oyster shells; some plants they eat, some creepy crawlies they enjoy so much, even the rock they use for grit if it is limestone. If the egg shells are hard and they are not eating the oyster shell or hardly eating oyster shell, they are getting enough from somewhere. Don’t look at how fast the oyster shell is disappearing, that doesn’t matter. Look at how hard your egg shells are.

I could show you a picture of her to show you what type of picking it is

Back
Top Bottom