FEATHER PLUCK vs SKINNING?

I have done both now and with smaller birds you get so much more if you pluck, but I like the idea of having lots of left over scraps on the cage for stock. We have a system now that allows us to process a bird in around 20 minutes. I Bleed the bird and then check on the scalder, once up to temp I hand the bird to my wife and she scalds and starts plucking, I then get number 2 and bleed him. Once plucking is finished no.1 goes on the processing table and I go and get no.3, no.2 is then taken by my wife for scalding and plucking while I process no.1, then no.4 is taken to be bled and no.2 is now ready for processing and no.3 is ready for scalding and plucking. We just keep going untill we are done. Then My wife starts clearing up the feathers wile I process the last chicken and then it's clear up time. The system works well and we each have our own jobs to be doing.

If I were doing it on my own then I would probably just skin the birds, but with a helper (or two) you can process very quickly.

I know this thread is old but I'm hoping someone with lots of experience will respond.
Our rooster is 1-1/2 year old and has become unacceptably aggressive. We've never eaten one of our chickens but would like to try it with him. I've read enough to understand that the only way to tenderize him enough to eat at his age is to cook very low and slow after 7-10 days resting in the refrigerator. Our biggest dilemma at this point (we haven't dispatched him yet) is whether to scald/pluck him or skin him. Especially given his age, would it be advisable to go with the scald/skin method in order to contribute the skin and fat to the tenderness of the meat?
I hope someone can respond sooner rather than later as we had our eyes on doing this, this morning. (Yes, I waited too long to dig deep into this).
Thank you in advance.

just coming from a cerebral POV, i would think that keeping the skin intact (as much as possible), thus sealing in whatever is left re: fat and 'juices', would help to make the meat as tender as possible.
you can always reconsider during the cooking process - but once the skin is off... well... it is off. ;)
so i'd suggest to pluck, not skin him.

The main difference in the quality of the bird in skinning or plucking is that the skin has fat in it. In younger birds where you have the option to roast and you cook them whole, having the skin on could help keep the meat more moist, sort of self-basting. But you are probably not going to cook it where this makes any difference in this.

Some people like the taste of skin, some don't. That's probably due to the fat in it. This comes down to personal preference. Cooking it with the skin on will add more flavor. Do you and yours like that extra flavor. At 1-1/2 years he will have a lot more flavor than the chicken you buy at the store anyway, sort of a gamey flavor. Some people really don't like that since they are not used to it.

When you butcher a rooster this age there is a lot of connective tissue that will make skinning slow. It takes quite a bit more of hand strength than a young bird, a world of difference. On a younger bird skinning if fast, you can fly through. Not on this bird. You need a sharp knife to cut through a lot of that connective tissue. The legs and especially the wings are rough. I skin roosters older than this but they are a pain.

Thinking more on the skinning versus plucking process, I'd think plucking might be easier for you because of that connective tissue. If you are not used to the flavor you probably won't realize the difference when you cook it. It's going to taste different anyway.

I also suggest plucking.

Id go with plucking since skinning an older bird can be physically difficult. (You wouldn't believe how much an old rooster's skin wants to stay on him!) Plus, the absolute best part of an old rooster, in my opinion, is the stock you can make with his carcass- and the skin will be great for added flavor! One old rooster makes twice the depth of flavor as a young store bird for stock.
You might want to try plucking him and crock potting him (if your crockpot goes low enough in temp- you don't want the fluids to ever get to a boil). Once the meat is falling off the bone remove the carcass and strip the meat from the bones. Use the meat for whatever and return the carcass plus anything else you like (garlic, onion, etc) to finish making the stock.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom