Feather plucking or molt?

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
My older girls are 18 months old. They've had only sparse feather loss. No full-blown molt yet. Good ~ as a molt in January could be a bummer! But, we've had an oddly warm winter, so far.
This girl has missing feathers on her neck. One other girl has a similar patch in a couple areas (neck and belly), but not as bare.
I looked through their feathers to make sure there were no bugs. I didn't see any - though they were a little tough to examine. I think they've had enough handling, for a while - having just finished their Safe-guard a few days ago. Just in case - I wrapped the ends of their favorite roost with double-sided tape - to see if any bugs stick to it during the night.
I do see a few pin feathers in this bare spot. But, she also has a small, scab. I'd say that both girls with feather loss are middle of the pecking order. I haven't noticed any real squabbles in the flock.
They are currently on a mix of starter crumbles and layer pellets - as my younger girls are new egg layers. They also have free-feed oyster shell.
I found a thread a little bit ago that suggested applying something topical to discourage pecking - if that's what's happening. Now I can't find that thread. But, also wonder if I even should.
The girls have a 10x10 run. The flock consists of five 18-month olds and four 8-month olds. 9 total chickens - all about the same size. There are 2 coops attached to the run. A small, pre-fab and a larger, home-built shed. They all move freely between each space until bedtime. Then, they separate into their familiar groups.
They get free-range time each day, with my dogs babysitting, while I clean their spaces. I can't let them roam alone because of hawks.
This might all be too much information. Just trying to be thorough

Attachments

• 20230121_091633.jpg
    20230121_091633.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230121_091627.jpg
    20230121_091627.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What are the ages of the chickens in the two photos? It doesn't appear the pattern is of regular molt, but rather feather picking. In molt, you see uniform pin feathers, not mostly broken and stripped feathers as in these photos.

Putting a potion on the necks to discourage feather picking is a very messy ordeal, and it has never worked at all for me. Your better course would be to sit and observe your flock in the afternoon during loafing time. That's when they dirt bath, sun bathe and socialize and lie about, becoming still targets for sinister intentions.

Once you identify the culprit(s), I suggest installing pinless peepers on the chicken. When worn for a few months, this often interrupts the picking habit and you can then remove them.

What are the ages of the chickens in the two photos? It doesn't appear the pattern is of regular molt, but rather feather picking. In molt, you see uniform pin feathers, not mostly broken and stripped feathers as in these photos.

Putting a potion on the necks to discourage feather picking is a very messy ordeal, and it has never worked at all for me. Your better course would be to sit and observe your flock in the afternoon during loafing time. That's when they dirt bath, sun bathe and socialize and lie about, becoming still targets for sinister intentions.

Once you identify the culprit(s), I suggest installing pinless peepers on the chicken. When worn for a few months, this often interrupts the picking habit and you can then remove them.
The 2 pictures are of the same girl. She is 18 months old. Her flockmate who also has a bit of this going on is 18 months, as well. I will spend some more time observing. A little tricky right now, as I have the run wrapped for winter. But I can hang out inside with them for a while.
I thought these looked like pin feathers. :hmm

Spent about an hour and a half with my girls, this afternoon. Two of them are now sporting peepers. I'll watch for a while because the one gal who has the most feathers missing was also a bit "snippy" today. However, I'm not sure if she was instigating or reacting. She's not wearing peppers, yet.

Question on peepers: will they impede the girls feeding or drinking abilities? We use a nipple waterer and a feeder like this
Screenshot_20230122-182739_Brave.jpg

Unfortunately, yes. Any action that requires being able to see straight ahead will be hindered. During the time these chickens are wearing peepers, you may want to include dog bowls of water and feed for them. They will have no issues with finding food and water below their line of sight. If they are already accustomed to the feeder, they may be able to adjust, but nipples require much more precision. It would be safer providing the bowl of water so they aren't deprived of water.

Unfortunately, yes. Any action that requires being able to see straight ahead will be hindered. During the time these chickens are wearing peepers, you may want to include dog bowls of water and feed for them. They will have no issues with finding food and water below their line of sight. If they are already accustomed to the feeder, they may be able to adjust, but nipples require much more precision. It would be safer providing the bowl of water so they aren't deprived of water.
Thank you. So glad I asked. And so glad I have a heated water bowl

Okay--checked the feed. We just switched to layer and it's only 15%. Guess we are going to switch things up because this definitely started after the introduction of the new feed 😭

Back
Top Bottom