feb shipped eggs-- almost all girls!?

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
i incubated a bunch of eggs (over 40) (from 2 breeders) that were shipped to me (in massachusetts) on feb 2. i really regretted paying for all those eggs because so few hatched. i only got 7 chicks. BUT almost all have turned out to be hens! only 1 a roo, which is statistically weird. almost like having twice as many hatch. i'm sure the eggs were both jostled and cold.

i've done other hatches and usually i get a bit more boys than girls with my incubator. exactly normal stats.

don't know if it is just luck, or have other people seen this happen?

just thought i'd share.

Last edited:
Yes, I had the same thing happen --out of about 40 eggs only less than half hatched and almost all girls. The funny thing is I put 3 of my eggs in to finish filling the bator after letting the mailed ones rest for a day--they all went in at once and mine hatched about 12 hours earlier than the rest and all of those hatched--so it does go to show that shipping does affect them and I deduced that the girls are tougher!! :)

I don't do shipped eggs because I'm cheap like that, but...

Having hatched quite a few of my own eggs this year (I started in Jan) most of what's hatched has been pullets. I NEED roosters, so I figured that's why I had all of these girls hatching :p

Back
Top Bottom