February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Its up to you. I usually like to candle day 6, 12, and 18 (start of lockdown). With my first few incubations I liked to candle nearly every day lol but now I am more of a set it and forget it hatcher.

I dry incubate, as well :)

Somehow, I have it in my head not to candle from day 10-14 - something about eye development? I'll have to go back and research. I usually do 7 (fertility check), 14 and just before lockdown.

Somehow, I have it in my head not to candle from day 10-14 - something about eye development? I'll have to go back and research. I usually do 7 (fertility check), 14 and just before lockdown.

Hmm interesting. I've never seen any ill effects from it. I just divided it up into thirds from day 1 to day 18.

Hmm interesting. I've never seen any ill effects from it. I just divided it up into thirds from day 1 to day 18. 

Yeah, like I said, it is one of those things you get stuck in your brain, not sure who said it, or if it's correct. Now that i have a moment, i will research it and find out for sure.
I just finished my 7 day candle. It was a good news/bad news sort of deal. The bad news - only 1 of 17 Heritage BR eggs is developing. One. There were 6 clear and all the rest blood rings. I have never had such poor results with shipped eggs and the odd thing is how completely intact the air sacks were when I received them.
Of course, the first thing I do is blame myself or my incubator....except, the American Bresse eggs shipped from Florida (all the way across the nation!) are all developing except 2 that were clear.
And, the eggs from my back yard (one was 8 days old when I set it) are looking great too.
So, anyone with a diagnosis on the BR?

Okay, so days 11,12,13 are the eye development dates.
Also, one of the learning center links said not to use cardboard egg cartons to incubate. I have always used them...cut out the bottoms and cut down the sides...with a lotof success. Hmm. More to think about.

Okay, so days 11,12,13 are the eye development dates.
Also, one of the learning center links said not to use cardboard egg cartons to incubate. I have always used them...cut out the bottoms and cut down the sides...with a lotof success. Hmm. More to think about.

Did they say why Orrpeople? I was planning on using one for the eggs I have that have wonky air cells- bad saddle shaped and a couple that are loose on one side.

Mine isn't quiet! He's 9 weeks old and has been crowing since he was 6 weeks old. Just moved them all out to their coop (8x8 wood shed). Need to get a run up ASAP.
Let me know if you have any good run-building tips! I was very lucky, in that the property had a 12x17 covered run sitting idly when I bought it, so I just stuffed a coop inside. And then another. And chicken math is happening, and I shall have to build another run.
gig.gif

Hope you can appease the neighbors and keep your noisy boy.

Did they say why Orrpeople? I was planning on using one for the eggs I have that have wonky air cells- bad saddle shaped and a couple that are loose on one side.

The only reason I can think of is that the cardboard ones are going to soak up some of the moisture/humidity in the incubator and possibly harbor bacteria and allow it to grow. Really, I think it is one of those things people say based on speculation rather than based on any real issue.
Yeah, like I said, it is one of those things you get stuck in your brain, not sure who said it, or if it's correct. Now that i have a moment, i will research it and find out for sure.
I just finished my 7 day candle. It was a good news/bad news sort of deal. The bad news - only 1 of 17 Heritage BR eggs is developing. One. There were 6 clear and all the rest blood rings. I have never had such poor results with shipped eggs and the odd thing is how completely intact the air sacks were when I received them.
Of course, the first thing I do is blame myself or my incubator....except, the American Bresse eggs shipped from Florida (all the way across the nation!) are all developing except 2 that were clear.
And, the eggs from my back yard (one was 8 days old when I set it) are looking great too.
So, anyone with a diagnosis on the BR?

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/candling-blood-ring.html

I think @orrpeople and I have been reading the same sites.
smile.png
I believe they said not to use egg cartons because you need more air circulation; however, cutting out the bottom provides that, and then it's fine to use them. That's what I read, for what it's worth.

What I do is cut circular slices out of a paper towel tube. That works beautifully to prop up big eggs. For smaller eggs, I just cut the paper tube slices into a smaller diameter and tape them. It's worked well, and I got beautiful, healthy chicks even with huge, saddle shaped cells.

Let me know if you have any good run-building tips! I was very lucky, in that the property had a 12x17 covered run sitting idly when I bought it, so I just stuffed a coop inside. And then another. And chicken math is happening, and I shall have to build another run. :gig

Hope you can appease the neighbors and keep your noisy boy.

I'm using two welded wire dig runs. Will end up being a 10x10. Ill zip tie hardware cloth to the sides and meting on top. As I had an un-used kennel, I just bought a second. With the hope that it'll be secure to keep my Doberman OUT!

Back
Top Bottom