February 2017 Hatch-a-long

I think @orrpeople
 and I have been reading the same sites. :)  I believe they said not to use egg cartons because you need more air circulation; however, cutting out the bottom provides that, and then it's fine to use them. That's what I read, for what it's worth.

What I do is cut circular slices out of a paper towel tube. That works beautifully to prop up big eggs. For smaller eggs, I just cut the paper tube slices into a smaller diameter and tape them. It's worked well, and I got beautiful, healthy chicks even with huge, saddle shaped cells. 

Yes, I was expressly told to use them with shipped eggs, then gently tilt one side up at a time to turn them - I also use an exacto to cut holes in the bottoms and to pare the sides down a bit too. I have a feeling this is all a bit like parenting advice. It can make you a little crazy!!
1f631.png
1f600.png

Yes, I was expressly told to use them with shipped eggs, then gently tilt one side up at a time to turn them - I also use an exacto to cut holes in the bottoms and to pare the sides down a bit too. I have a feeling this is all a bit like parenting advice. It can make you a little crazy!!
1f631.png
1f600.png

lol good analogy! I am not a parent but I have seen some of the things people come up with and repeat as gospel. The same with diet and exercise advise/forums.

lol good analogy! I am not a parent but I have seen some of the things people come up with and repeat as gospel. The same with diet and exercise advise/forums. 

Hah, so true! And I also think of those broody hens in their nesting boxes outside - do they know that on day 18 they need to bump up the humidity to 65% and drop the temp to 98? Somebody better tell 'em.

Hah, so true! And I also think of those broody hens in their nesting boxes outside - do they know that on day 18 they need to bump up the humidity to 65% and drop the temp to 98? Somebody better tell 'em.

Exactly!

I have even had a broody get off the eggs to go for a snack and poop while a chick was half hatched (yes the chick was fine and healthy despite the obvious drop in temp and humidity, as were the rest of the clutch). I should have had her read "What to expect when you're expecting - chicken edition" so she would know better.

I am a little worried rigth now, day 21 and just 2 chicks have pipped (out of 20), one has been pipped for 12 hours. Is 12 hours too long? Did I do something wrong?
Temperature:99.5
Humidity (hatching):60%
Airsacs: A tiny bit small

I am a little worried rigth now, day 21 and just 2 chicks have pipped (out of 20), one has been pipped for 12 hours. Is 12 hours too long? Did I do something wrong?
Temperature:99.5
Humidity (hatching):60%
Airsacs: A tiny bit small

No worries yet. Pips can last 24 hours while the chick absorbs the rest of the yolk. Have you used your incubator before, so you know what's normal for it? It sounds like everything is okay - give it another 12 hrs. before worrying.

No worries yet. Pips can last 24 hours while the chick absorbs the rest of the yolk. Have you used your incubator before, so you know what's normal for it? It sounds like everything is okay - give it another 12 hrs. before worrying.
I did use it last year but didn't have good results, lets hope I do good this year. I'll post when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom