February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Okay, I started a March Hatchalong if any of you want to come on over!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
'

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155960/march-2017-hatch-with-us#post_18133323
Yay!
celebrate.gif

Thank you so much, @orrpeople !!

Thank you! (I was the one asking for a comparison). Those eggs really are tiny. I suppose Sebrights at full size are also smaller than silkies? Or maybe it doesn't work that way...
Even in my silkies, I have a couple of roos that are big boys, and their sister who is 1/2 their size, maybe smaller. The eggs looked the same , they just grew differently.

I think Silkies tend to come in more size ranges, but Sebrights are tiny. Body-wise, mine were much smaller, but my silkies were in the medium size range. Just the basic body of a sebright is about a softball size. My silkies were maybe cantaloupe sized.
big_smile.png

This was The Colonel

Okay, I started a March Hatchalong if any of you want to come on over!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
'

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155960/march-2017-hatch-with-us#post_18133323

yesss.gif
see ya there!

I think Silkies tend to come in more size ranges, but Sebrights are tiny. Body-wise, mine were much smaller, but my silkies were in the medium size range. Just the basic body of a sebright is about a softball size. My silkies were maybe cantaloupe sized.
big_smile.png

This was The Colonel

yesss.gif
see ya there!
They are so beautiful! Thanks for the additional pics. You are sending me directly to hatchaholics anonymous. It'll be all your fault!
If you look at my profile pic it shows my "original" (first) silkie couple and it is Mima in the pic who is having the bizarre hatch moment. The size difference between them is remarkable.
One of Mima's daughter is even smaller than Mima. The same hatch-brothers are bigger than the daddy roo (Mun~eco pictured with Mima). Once this crazy hatch finishes I'm strongly considering moving the big boys to the Upstairs pen and coop to try out silkie mizes with...well, whatever hen feels the vibe. I really want to see the mix of Polish and silkie so I'll keep them housed together and likely add Peaches little sister (a mini-duplicate of Peaches) in with Zuza and the Polish pair, and add pullets as the moment dictates. I also think I'm going to bring my little black mix Dulce into the group...I really want to witness the black to blue to splash genetic changes that I've read about!

That was Way Too Much Information! (Thanks hatchalongers for tolerating my verbal outbursts of excitement!)

big_smile.png

This was The Colonel

yesss.gif
see ya there!
Gorgeous birds!! Did you find them to be more friendly or stand-offish?

Gorgeous birds!! Did you find them to be more friendly or stand-offish?
My lone sebright is skittish, but I don't handle them much. My daughter belongs to 4H, and one of the chicken kids shows her Sebright - that is the CALMEST bird I have EVER seen. So, I think it all depends on how much you handle them.

I can say they are a beautiful and loud bird lol I wished mine wasn't so mean might have been because I had him with two of the biggest Roos I ever had both weighed in excess of 13 lbs

Back
Top Bottom