February 2017 Hatch-a-long

It looks like I will soon be in for February, too! I heard from Kurt today, and he said that he will be shipping me the fertile eggs from his Black Australorp pen next week, so I'll soon have some of the Black ones to go with my Blue and Splash Australorps! Now, to get the incubator ready again... lol

I got some good looking eggs collected for setting today, nice size and shape. I will be setting some Welsummer x (?) so it will be cool to see what color eggs they lay.

Question: I'm trying the "don't mess with the humidity until day 18" method and I really want to break that rule. Especially now that the humidity in my incubator has gotten as low as 16. For those who do this method, is that too low or is it okay?

Alright, count me in! Just set 125 eggs (02/04/17 at 12:00PM)... hoping for more Naked Necks...
That is a LOT of eggs - you have a cabinet incubator? Were all 125 NNs?

The 46 eggs I set last week, I candled most of them. I pulled 1 DEFINITE blood ring. I had several I didn't see veins, but I left in, just in case. There are some REALLY bad air cells, but I"ll leave them in - I've had them hatch before. I did move 4 of my own backyard eggs that looked questionable over to my LG, Since the Brinsea was only 2/3 full, I had ordered 2 dozen eggs, I got 37. I was able to comfortably set 21 in the Brinsea, I kept 6 out for a friend to hatch in a classroom 'bator. The remaining eggs joined the questionables in the LG.

So let's hope the LG doesn't kill them. And let's hope that the air cells don't hurt the hatch rate.

Happy Hatching everyone!

That is a LOT of eggs - you have a cabinet incubator? Were all 125 NNs?

The 46 eggs I set last week, I candled most of them. I pulled 1 DEFINITE blood ring. I had several I didn't see veins, but I left in, just in case. There are some REALLY bad air cells, but I"ll leave them in - I've had them hatch before. I did move 4 of my own backyard eggs that looked questionable over to my LG, Since the Brinsea was only 2/3 full, I had ordered 2 dozen eggs, I got 37. I was able to comfortably set 21 in the Brinsea, I kept 6 out for a friend to hatch in a classroom 'bator. The remaining eggs joined the questionables in the LG.

So let's hope the LG doesn't kill them. And let's hope that the air cells don't hurt the hatch rate.

Happy Hatching everyone!

Yeah... every winter I borrow a cabinet from my brother, and to make matters even more interesting, he gave me a 7 dozen more eggs today! So now I'm at 209 total... He has some silkie/nn crosses in there so should be interesting!

Good luck to everyone for the Feb hatch!

Back
Top Bottom