February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Yep. I just ordered another 1588 - totally worth the investment in my opinion. I told my husband, no candy or flowers this Valentine's - but how about a Hovabator!?!? He was on board. I also used Incubator Warehouse. I guess there will be two reviews on this thread in the next week or so!
I'm showing mine won't arrive until Friday 2/17 which isn't good. Needless to say I have the old still air warming up so I can get all the bugs worked out by Thursday for the first set of eggs. I'm hoping and praying that all goes well for my last experience with that unit wasn't very good.
1f60f.png

Yep. I just ordered another 1588 - totally worth the investment in my opinion. I told my husband, no candy or flowers this Valentine's - but how about a Hovabator!?!? He was on board. I also used Incubator Warehouse. I guess there will be two reviews on this thread in the next week or so!
That sounds like a much more fun Valentine's gift than candy of flowers! It will last longer, too. (*sigh* No husband here, no Hovabator. But also... no husband here, no need to explain all the incubating eggs in the guest room and chickens all over the property. Yay!)
gig.gif

I noticed yesterday that my gold laced bantam cochin has figured out how to mount the Marans girls. Grrr. So I took the only four nice dark eggs that I had on the counter and set them in the incubator. Fingers crossed they have the Marans daddy and not the cochins. I also did round two of candling the other eggs this morning. Everyone is developing nicely. The hygrometer says 16% but the air cells look right on target so I'm not messing with them. My RIR eggs had a lot of water in them despite dry incubating last time, so I'll just let it be.

So, I have 10 Marans, 4 Marans x RIR, and 3 Marans x BR still going strong. Next week my shipped chicks arrive so I'll have 49 chicks to deal with if everyone makes it. How am I going to explain this to my husband? lol
Naughty, saucy little bantam! Fingers crossed that your eggs are Maran x Maran.
fl.gif

Hi All! I had an Ayam Cemani roo, a Blue silkie roo, and 3 white/black EE hens in a pen - while I looked for homes for the roos. I hatched 18 of the eggs over the past month, and 17 were BLACK - all the way through - feathers, skin, beak, comb, legs etc. Ayam Cemani roo had strong genes. When I got 1 yellow chick in the last batch, I thought the EE genes finally dominated. Well, as they are feathering out, the little yellow chick has feathered feet - that tells me the Blue silkie roo was the daddy. How does a blue silkie roo, and white/black EE mom turn out a yellow/brown chick?

I can't wait to see what it turns out to look like!!

No, he is not. He is now 10 months old and showing some red leakage in his wing. I am no longer using him for breeding. I have separated him from my hens, and am now trying to figure out if I want to eat him or not. My splash hen is okay though with no red leakage.

I hate being in that predicament.

Hi All! I had an Ayam Cemani roo, a Blue silkie roo, and 3 white/black EE hens in a pen - while I looked for homes for the roos. I hatched 18 of the eggs over the past month, and 17 were BLACK - all the way through - feathers, skin, beak, comb, legs etc. Ayam Cemani roo had strong genes. When I got 1 yellow chick in the last batch, I thought the EE genes finally dominated. Well, as they are feathering out, the little yellow chick has feathered feet - that tells me the Blue silkie roo was the daddy. How does a blue silkie roo, and white/black EE mom turn out a yellow/brown chick?

I can't wait to see what it turns out to look like!!

It's funny how genetics work right, hiding things and giving us surprises!

Playing around with the genetics calculator, for instance, I am expecting the majority of my Marans chicks to come out blue, but they will be "hiding" Wheaten genes. So breeding one of them back to a parent will give me a whole crazy assortment of offspring. Perhaps your silkie is hiding something that mixed just right with the EEs genes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom