February 2017 Hatch-a-long

29 sulmtalers in lockdown. Just got my new (10 year old) GQF hatcher. Hope it works well. Happy that it has a totally clear door panel so I can see in. They hatch on Friday so Lets hope it is right on. Got a 50% hatch rate last hatch so lets hope for better.

Just set 55 today of my own eggs in a homemade incubator. I had really really good success with it last year. Lets see what happens in 21 daysish

If the egg sacs are a little small (not by much) should I raise the humidity up three days before hatch? Or wait for another day?

I have had some smaller air sacks going in to lockdown before, and they all hatched out fine. In fact, one had me really worried, because it pipped so much lower than my outline I had drawn. But, after it hatched, the air sack looked like it had grown substantially just in those 4 days!

Got my pen done today, for the most part. Still have netting to put up. So glad to have it done! My older babies (November/December) are out and it was so nice seeing them be able to scratch around, being chickens. Can't wait to get my February babies outside!

If the egg sacs are a little small (not by much) should I raise the humidity up three days before hatch? Or wait for another day?

If they are good and dark up close to the membrane, I'd go ahead. If there is still clear area, it wouldn't hurt to wait another half-day or day.

Got my pen done today, for the most part. Still have netting to put up. So glad to have it done! My older babies (November/December) are out and it was so nice seeing them be able to scratch around, being chickens. Can't wait to get my February babies outside!

Congrats on the coop. Looks great!

Gorgeous chicks!!

Ok I'm joining in. Today was lockdown. At day 10 I removed 4 clear and 2 quitters. Today I removed 4 quitters and 17 went into lockdown. This will (hopefully) be my most successful hatch!

Back
Top Bottom