February 2017 Hatch-a-long

I Got a PIP!!!!

:yiipchick

I would probably keep the blockade up. Peaches will figure it out eventually, then let Mima do her best with what she has and see what happens. I doubt the second hen will take over or she would be settling in on a different nest by now. It may just be a "relax and see what happens" kind of thing. Wishing you the very best!
fl.gif
Thank you. I agree with you so that's what I'll do.

So, I just sent my husband off to deliver a box of chicks to friends that have a farm. No more February hatch babies. (Which, as you all know is happy and sad all at the same time!) Here are most of them:
That is such a sweet pic! Are they all sitting in a flower pot? Congrats on the great hatch!

But it's two days early and now I see 3 pips my chances are getting better!!!
Early? Gosh, I hope mine are early, however based on the latest candling, they may be a day late. I have 7 days to go, according to my 'bator. Today we will go to the school and see how the classroom batch is doing,they are a few days behind. Will be setting up the brooder in the feed room this weekend. The duck house is finished (other than some decoration) and we will be moving it to the back yard in a few days. I'll post pics in the other thread. Getting stressed, need more coffee
fl.gif

Final hatch tally: Set 205 - 155/193 (hatch / viable @ 14 days) ~ 80%
Potentially could have had a better hatch with higher humidity for this large hatch. Was between 65-75%, might shoot for 70-80% next time.
Keep the pictures and stories coming!

Early?  Gosh, I hope mine are early, however based on the latest candling, they may be a day late.  I have 7 days to go, according to my 'bator.  Today we will go to the school and see how the classroom batch is doing,they are a few days behind. Will be setting up the brooder in the feed room this weekend.  The duck house is finished (other than some decoration) and we will be moving it to the back yard in a few days.  I'll post pics in the other thread.  Getting stressed, need more coffee:fl

I was feeling the same way... came in for a short coffee break - putting the finishing touches on the new laying hen digs and totally stressed myself out. Y'all need to live closer so we could take turns helping each other get projects done!

Are ducks hard to transition to new things like chickens are? I think the whole 'collect everyone at night and put them in the new house' process is going to be tough, but the hardest part will be the 'stink eye' they will all give me when I leave them there for a few days to imprint the new house into their collective psychies! :he

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom