February 2020 Hatch-A-Long

We are on lock down and expecting our chicks by Saturday.

Best of luck with your hatch! I am trying shipped eggs for the 1st time and out of 15 only 4 made it to lock down (2 did not develop, the rest started developing but died early on). Mine are due to hatch Saturday - Leap Year Chicks!

Best of luck with your hatch! I am trying shipped eggs for the 1st time and out of 15 only 4 made it to lock down (2 did not develop, the rest started developing but died early on). Mine are due to hatch Saturday - Leap Year Chicks!
So much fun. We may have some on leap day, also. I think it is so fun. We have one pip today from our Bantam Cochin.

So much fun. We may have some on leap day, also. I think it is so fun. We have one pip today from our Bantam Cochin.

It is fun!! I am already looking for more eggs to try another batch lol. How exciting about your Cochin - is that the one that you added from your flock?

Have you tried hatching shipped eggs before? I knew it was a gamble (from everything I have read) but it really is disappointing to lose such a large number. Unfortunately I cannot find the breeds and colors I am looking for locally though.

It is fun!! I am already looking for more eggs to try another batch lol. How exciting about your Cochin - is that the one that you added from your flock?

Have you tried hatching shipped eggs before? I knew it was a gamble (from everything I have read) but it really is disappointing to lose such a large number. Unfortunately I cannot find the breeds and colors I am looking for locally though.
Yes the cochin is the one from our own flock and it hatched this morning. 20200228_053536.jpg Our first hatch was eggs we had purchased off ebay. We received 8 eggs and had 5 hatch. We have had really good success with shipped eggs so far. We will see if my other five eggs hatch today. That will again be 5 out of 8 shipped eggs if they all hatch. It is sad that you have had so much loss on your shipped eggs.🙁

This article was a great help for me. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gs-no-problem.1046313/page-5385#post-16540512

Zipper is adorable! Congrats! We have 1 that pipped right on schedule. Anxiously waiting!! Did any more of yours hatch?

Thanks for the link - great info.
Yes!! We had our Welsummer named Sunny hatch last night. Our Easter Egger (Fluffy) hatched early this morning and our Lavender Orpington (Annie) hatched this evening. We have 2 more, a speckled sussex and a cream legbar that look like they are well on their way. My last hatch didn't have so much time in between hatches. They were all the same breed, though. 20200229_142437.jpg 20200229_175726.jpg IMG_0821.jpg
We have discovered that if we heat up the rice heat pad we can have them out with us for a little while. The kids are loving it. The first few days are really the best because it is when there is the least amount of poop.:D;):lau

So adorable - love the names - one of ours is a "Fluffy" too - the kids named them :). We have 3 bantam salmon fav chicks - the 4th one died after pipping internally. I had to assist 2 out of the 3 because they pipped early on and then partially zipped and quit. They were glued / stuck so I must have have had some humidity issues going on. So frustrating since I thought I had everything within acceptable ranges. It could have been worse though. Have fun with your chicks :)

Here is Fluffy - I tried hatching in egg cartons since they were shipped eggs and she kept climbing back in the carton!

Attachments

• 0301200736a.jpg
    0301200736a.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 0301200736b.jpg
    0301200736b.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 3
So adorable - love the names - one of ours is a "Fluffy" too - the kids named them :). We have 3 bantam salmon fav chicks - the 4th one died after pipping internally. I had to assist 2 out of the 3 because they pipped early on and then partially zipped and quit. They were glued / stuck so I must have have had some humidity issues going on. So frustrating since I thought I had everything within acceptable ranges. It could have been worse though. Have fun with your chicks :)

Here is Fluffy - I tried hatching in egg cartons since they were shipped eggs and she kept climbing back in the carton!
Absolutely adorable. Keeping the eggs in the container could be part of the issue because it doesn't allow for the moisture to go in through all of the egg shell. Good job on the assist! We had one that we had to help last time be cause it got all turned around.

Back
Top Bottom