February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
We survived our first go at incubation, but I lost a lot of sleep. Haha. We also got two chicks out of it. One from our first eggs put in, and one from the eggs put in four days later (because I thought for sure I had killed the first set with a temp spike early on). Both from the same hen, likely a black Australorp mix. The rooster is a Black Copper Marans mix. Unfortunately, my phone won't let me upload any pictures.

We had some sad losses too, the one from set A that pipped and died, and two from set B full grown, but no pips. :(

I lost sleep too, the first couple of time that I incubated egg's. Now, I don't worry about it as much. I do the best that I can, and I don't mind finding chick's in there the next morning peeping at me. Sometime's they are even dry by then. I let them hatch on their own, and seem to end up with stronger chick's that way.

Finally did a candling of the eggs I set.
Guess I'll have to start over with chicks. Not one egg was fertile and started to form.
Congrats to those that hatched new babies
Sorry you had so many duds. Good luck with the next try.

We survived our first go at incubation, but I lost a lot of sleep. Haha. We also got two chicks out of it. One from our first eggs put in, and one from the eggs put in four days later (because I thought for sure I had killed the first set with a temp spike early on). Both from the same hen, likely a black Australorp mix. The rooster is a Black Copper Marans mix. Unfortunately, my phone won't let me upload any pictures.

We had some sad losses too, the one from set A that pipped and died, and two from set B full grown, but no pips. :(

Well, a couple hatch is better than none, but hopefully your next one will go better :)

Here are our babies. We ended up with 9 out of 12 we set. Soo cute!
IMG_20190302_065130729.jpg

My Rooster is a Lavender Isabel Orpington, the yellow and yellow/gray chicks are from my lavender, lavender split orpingtons hens. In my limited knowledge of genetics they could end up being lavender, mottled, Isabel, porcelain, or they could stay buff. The other chicks are from Barred Rock, Welsummer, and Rhode Island Red hens. The one with black striping on the back is from a RIR hen, can't wait to see how that one turns out.

Back
Top Bottom