Febuary hatch a long

Day 21 for me and I don't see any movement or hear anything. I was feeling discouraged but after reading some of the posts I guess there is still hope. I really hope my baby's hatch!!!

I'm posting these photos in a couple of threads

Here are the chicks that hatched this morning:

They all came from this mama:

Today is Day 21 for the Ameracauna Bantams I ordered. One hatched yesterday and is doing great in the brooder. Another hatched about an hour ago. I can see three more that are pipped, but the chicks that already hatched kind of pushed the others around so I can't tell if they are pipped or not.

They are so tiny! I picked up 4 BLRW bantams from Ideal Poultry yesterday, and they are only two days old, but the Ameracaunas are only half as big!

Does anyone know a good source for helping determine the adult colouration of my Ameracaunas? Both of the ones that have hatched are a brownish black colour. The flock they came from was a lavender roo with all different colours of hens.

Edit: 4 hatched, 3 pipped, 2 no progress.

Last edited:
She's so pretty. What is she?
She's a Swedish Flower Hen. I have two others, but they are lighter colors.

I have a total of 5 chicks that have hatched.
The 3 in the above photos hatched out healthy, without assistance.
Another egg pipped, but never zipped. I waited hours and hours. Finally I assisted it, and found that one wing was stuck to the membranes.
3 other eggs just sat there. One was silent, I opened it and it was dead in the shell, It had probably reached about day 20.
The two others were making noises, but I feared that they were going to die w/o assistance. I know people say not to assist, but I did anyway. I opened up the egg on the large end and made sure their beaks were free and they could breathe. Both bled a little, one more than the other, so I waited and let them be. They just didn't seem to be progressing the way that they should. One ended up making it, but the other didn't. I think the one lost too much blood when I tore the membranes. I had heard that losing only a small amount of blood can kill them and that seems to be what happened. I was sad, but really am thinking it wasn't going to make it anyway.

I just assisted one of mine. It pipped over 24 hours ago and made no progress after that. It looked like the membrane was stuck all over it. There was some blood, but it seems to be doing well in the incubator right now.

I have two that haven't pipped at all. I'll give them another day or two.

Back
Top Bottom