Feed container setup that does not cause massive waste?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I tried the method of drilling 1-3/4" holes in a plastic food container so that my quails can eat without making a mess. Unfortunately, the quails can still toss feed from outside the holes. Is there any other way to prevent quails from wasting their feed?

I tried the method of drilling 1-3/4" holes in a plastic food container so that my quails can eat without making a mess. Unfortunately, the quails can still toss feed from outside the holes. Is there any other way to prevent quails from wasting their feed?
Can you show a pic of your drilled food container?

I drilled a cheap, generic, plastic "shoe box" with holes near the top rim and I believe no food has been spilled from this design so far. It's important that you keep the feed level about an inch below the holes. There is the occasional wood shaving that somehow gets inside on top of the food, but otherwise, it seems to be working out great. This style feeder box does have a bigger footprint than some of the other floor feeders. but it works well for cleanliness, being low maintenance, and for eliminating food loss.

I also noticed that an experienced breeder recommended using transparent lids on this type of design because apparently transparent lids deter the quail from jumping up and doing their business on the lids. I haven't tested this. I have a white lid on mine and only two times in two weeks have I noticed a quail poo on top.

In a related issue, I'm having some trouble with the Little Giant waterers. The first problem was shavings getting in to the trough and wicking the water out on to floors. The second problem was the 4 week old quail knocking the waterer over!

I solved the first problem by raising the waterer up on top of tiles and/ or a brick. I think this is a fairly common solution. For really young chicks that can't reach a raised waterer. I created a little ramp using a tile and covered it in shop towel. This has worked out great. No more problems.

I haven't yet solved the knocking the waterer over problem. I could put a brick on top of it I guess, to weigh it down, but this would of course risk injury to the birds if it still fell over etc.

We use 5-gallon buckets with feed ports all the way around. We purchased them off Etsy but even with our jumbo quail, I do believe the holes are smaller than the ones you made. Immediately we noticed a TON of food waste even after all that so the seller recommended raising it a little. Turns out we had to raise it the width of a 2x4 to keep them far enough away from it when they are eating to prevent them from tossing the feed. Now there is hardly any food waste.

Attachments

• 0CB1CB1E-045B-4A2E-ACE8-9E279C72C7BD.jpeg
    0CB1CB1E-045B-4A2E-ACE8-9E279C72C7BD.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 22
We use 5-gallon buckets with feed ports all the way around. We purchased them off Etsy but even with our jumbo quail, I do believe the holes are smaller than the ones you made. Immediately we noticed a TON of food waste even after all that so the seller recommended raising it a little. Turns out we had to raise it the width of a 2x4 to keep them far enough away from it when they are eating to prevent them from tossing the feed. Now there is hardly any food waste.
Can you tell me how far above the floor the bottom of the opening is?

This was my first design. I changed how the boards went together on every one after this. I have very little waist, the box mounts through the wire on the cage so its filled from the outside. This one holds 2 gallons of feed. the new ones only hold 1 gallon.
I like buckets with feed ports but for cage raising I dont want anything in the cage to take away room.
52559732544_67dd6d015a_o.jpg

Can you show a pic of your drilled food container?

I drilled a cheap, generic, plastic "shoe box" with holes near the top rim and I believe no food has been spilled from this design so far. It's important that you keep the feed level about an inch below the holes. There is the occasional wood shaving that somehow gets inside on top of the food, but otherwise, it seems to be working out great. This style feeder box does have a bigger footprint than some of the other floor feeders. but it works well for cleanliness, being low maintenance, and for eliminating food loss.

I also noticed that an experienced breeder recommended using transparent lids on this type of design because apparently transparent lids deter the quail from jumping up and doing their business on the lids. I haven't tested this. I have a white lid on mine and only two times in two weeks have I noticed a quail poo on top.

In a related issue, I'm having some trouble with the Little Giant waterers. The first problem was shavings getting in to the trough and wicking the water out on to floors. The second problem was the 4 week old quail knocking the waterer over!

I solved the first problem by raising the waterer up on top of tiles and/ or a brick. I think this is a fairly common solution. For really young chicks that can't reach a raised waterer. I created a little ramp using a tile and covered it in shop towel. This has worked out great. No more problems.

I haven't yet solved the knocking the waterer over problem. I could put a brick on top of it I guess, to weigh it down, but this would of course risk injury to the birds if it still fell over etc.
I know this is an older post, but I use the plastic shoe box with a few holes drilled near top (same as food) for water, works great!

This was my first design. I changed how the boards went together on every one after this. I have very little waist, the box mounts through the wire on the cage so its filled from the outside. This one holds 2 gallons of feed. the new ones only hold 1 gallon.
I like buckets with feed ports but for cage raising I dont want anything in the cage to take away room.
View attachment 3380430
What’s the capacity?

Back
Top Bottom