Feed for adult rooster

jj11

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
Hi I have been feeding my boy Purina organic layer pellets because where I live I can't seem to find a pelleted feed for roosters. The feed stores have seeds but being the pampered rooster that he is, he doesn't do seeds - won't eat them. I'm afraid that the high nutrient content designed for hens might catch up with him as he gets older, since he doesn't lay eggs and is partially disabled (club feet), thus he is not running around all day. Is there a feed that you might suggest that would work for him?

The only potential issue is that of excess calcium, assuming you feed your hens layers feed. You can switch the whole flock to general flock or growers feed and feed oyster shell in a separate feeder. The laying hens will eat some of the oyster shell as and when they feel the need for a calcium boost and your cock bird will not touch it.

As Ken said, the 4% calcium in layer feed will shorten his life due to kidney damage.
Additionally, the high protein in an all flock feed can cause issues as well.
Ideally, a rooster not molting would get about 13-14% protein. Layer is usually 16-17%. All flock is between 18 and 20%.
Feeds outside that range aren't usually available but there is a 15% finisher feed that would work. Purina makes a Game Bird Maintenance feed that is 12.5% protein that I have used. Read the guaranteed analysis tag though because their Game Bird Starter feed is 28% protein and the bags are identical.

Hi I have been feeding my boy Purina organic layer pellets because where I live I can't seem to find a pelleted feed for roosters. The feed stores have seeds but being the pampered rooster that he is, he doesn't do seeds - won't eat them. I'm afraid that the high nutrient content designed for hens might catch up with him as he gets older, since he doesn't lay eggs and is partially disabled (club feet), thus he is not running around all day. Is there a feed that you might suggest that would work for him?

Hi jj11! You are correct to be concerned about you roos health. Layer feed is not what is best for him. All that extra calcium isn’t good for his kidneys. I would suggest that you put him on Purina Organic Starter-Grower if you want to continue with an organic option. Go easy on the seeds or scratch grains as those are going to be high energy/calorie snacks (chicken candy!) that could also cause him some health issues if he over eats those.

I would also consider giving a rooster kept long-term essentially as pet a limited ration. You track his weight based on feel and behavior (excitement level when you approach with food). Birds I expect to live long term are not provided free-choice access to feed as they tend to run a little heavy. Excess weight, particularly when a bird has deformed feet, degrades quality of life faster than being a little under weight.

Back
Top Bottom