Feed is clumping so chickens cant eat

Pacches

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
The feeder is inside their run but I live in Florida where humidity is high. It hangs on the runs inner fencing and has a protective hood on it. Is there anything I can put in it to keep this from happening. Also, does anyone here feed just twice a day putting the feed away and out of reach of the resident family of squirrels?

If you are feeding crumbles or pellets you could consider getting it damp just before feeding and only give them enough at one time to eat it all within their needs. Say, ten minutes to 30 minutes. If you are worried that they will need food before you get back to give it to them, keep a dish of dry food available.

I was giving them enough for 24 hours because they have electric netting to keep critters out. Now, I realize there is a wood chuck under a shed (I rearranged the netting and he must have taken advantage of an opening). Woodchuck was eating 25% or more of their feed evert day. Now I feed them twice a day. They only eat in the daytime and the days are short here.

The feeder is inside their run but I live in Florida where humidity is high. It hangs on the runs inner fencing and has a protective hood on it. Is there anything I can put in it to keep this from happening. Also, does anyone here feed just twice a day putting the feed away and out of reach of the resident family of squirrels?

My girls always have layer crumbles/ pellets available.
Is this the same person?

We have two dogs and two barn cats that wouldn't allow the squirrel to get even close to the coop. Putting the food in the coop would help it drier and keep the squirrel away, maybe. Are either of these options?

It is very humid here too. Yesterday it was 80%, temp was 31F, and coop was 67%. We use horse bedding pellets on the floor and 1st Sat Lime on the roost boards. We also have a nipple waterer so there's no open water in the coop. All of these things keep the coop drier. We put any open bags of food in airtight bins.

Many feed companies put DE (diatomaceous earth) in their feed which kills bugs but also it helps keep the feed from clumping. Farmers use it in silos for the same reason. I'd more worry about getting the humidity down though.

Clumping feed in high humidity environment hints to mold.

Be careful not to let the pelleted dry feed sit outside where it will absorb the environmental high humidity quickly starting the molding process.

Always keep the feed in dry and cool conditions until you serve it to your birds twice or three times a day.

I only feed my chickens twice per day and let them enjoy apples, pumpkin etc. in between the feedings.

crumbles clump more than pellets. but pellets will clump too.

I think a smaller capacity feeder will help. The longer feed is in the feeder the more moisture it will absorb and start clumping. A faster refilling will mean drier feed.

Back
Top Bottom