Feed is clumping so chickens cant eat

I only use feeders for baby chicks and really young pullets. The rest of time I use the heavy duty black feeder bowls for like horses and cows. I also feed mash feed not pellets and then put water in it to make a soup. Don't worry it doesn't freeze because its gone before it can.

I'm in Florida also, the only time my feed clumps is if it gets wet (rain or roof run off) or if the feed is going bad. I have feeders outside and feeders in the covered run. I only put one days worth out (estimating is not hard, you learn over time). That way, if things get wet, the waste is less. Can't do anything about the unexpected storms that roll through, when it gets wet from that they will still eat it that day, and it's not a worry. I dump any that remains and start fresh the next day. The humidity has not caused clumping in my feed. Metal containers and feeders CAN be an issue since we can have pretty broad temperature swings from overnight to day time, condensation is worse in metal containers, I use plastic for that reason. If you are having a lot of clumping issues then 1. change brands, 2. put less feed out at one time in each feeder, aim for only a days worth, or do twice a day, 3. change feeder types 4. move to a more sheltered area (I still wouldn't put out more than a days worth. )

A picture of the feeder would help with giving quality advice. Others living in Florida have already mentioned that their feed wasn't clumping due to the high humidity. Most likely the feed is already damp or the rain is causing it. You might try waxing the chute to let the feed flow better or cutting a bit out of the throat of the feeder to increase the flow.

As for squirrels, they are tough to beat if there is more than one or two. Squirrels are generally territorial but if you are backed up to a forest squirrels have been known to share access to something like a chicken coop with plenty of food. In that case you are dealing with many squirrels, going to be tough to stop them.

If it is something like a more urban/suburban area you probably are in a particular squirrel's territory that it fights to keep to itself. You should be able to keep the squirrel out of the feed with a proper treadle feeder. But, read the negative reviews for squirrels or rats defeating the feeder. The feeder will need a spring loaded door, preferably with dual springs and the treadle HAS to be narrow and set way back so a hen can reach the feed with the treadle down but a squirrel can't reach the feed if they swarm the treadle.

All good points. I have squirrels, lots and lots of them. They occasionally go after the feed but it hasn't been a huge problem. I also have a lot of pecan trees, so they are kept busy with those. (I swear, when the pecans are getting close the squirrels throw them at us!! )
I did try the tube feeders made from large PVC pipe many, many years ago. They were a huge problem for me. The food was always clumping and getting stuck and clogged, and spoiling, waste was a lot. It was the condensation in the pipe, not the humidity.
And when feed starts to go bad, it gives off heat, so condensation gets worse in a closed environment, more moisture, more rapid spoilage, more heat, and so on. So I use open feeders now, either open dishes or feeders with open tops that are larger, and again, only a days worth of feed at a time.

Back
Top Bottom