Feed Management Methods [Poll]

How do you keep your Flock???

• Total voters
Another common oversight is tree fodder. They eat young tree leaves that they can reach. Ash, willow, hazel, birch, beech, alder and lime leaves are 15-21% protein, on average, plus assorted minerals (varying with the ground they grow in, of course), and my chickens regularly strip the first growth of the bottom of the beech hedge each spring. Which raises the obvious point that forage quality is highly seasonal - something may be there one month and gone the other 11.
Ash leaves are around 15% protein on a dry matter basis. Their actual protein content is lower, after accounting for the water content. But yes, birds will eat them. This isn't that poll though.

Ash leaves are around 15% protein on a dry matter basis. Their actual protein content is lower, after accounting for the water content. But yes, birds will eat them. This isn't that poll though.
it was intended as a suggestion for something to include in the follow-up 'quality of fodder when free-ranging' poll, if and when you do one. Silvopasture's a hot topic, so there will probably be quite a lot of relevant studies coming along in due course.

it was intended as a suggestion for something to include in the follow-up 'quality of fodder when free-ranging' poll, if and when you do one. Silvopasture's a hot topic, so there will probably be quite a lot of relevant studies coming along in due course.
I'm struggling with those answers still, will put up the (easier to imagine answers for) flock composition (age/gender) poll first. and I admit, I didn't think my woods would provide the benefit to my birds that they do. On a nutrition/sq ft basis, its much, much less efficient thann my pasture, but its not nothing. and of course there are seasonal spikes in value, when the acorns drop and the ducks eat so many they change the yolk color from golden orange to a rather unattractive green!

I think that comes back to intent. You intended free range; they free ranged back to the barn.
Yes ;) The legal definition of "free range" is only that they have access to the outside, they don't actually have to go outside. It doesn't say anything about how much space nor length of time. The "outside" could be a 2 sq ft concrete pad with the door open 5 minutes a day. In fact, anyone who has a run outside a building is raising "free range" chickens since they aren't confined to a building full time.

There really is no legal description for what many here are doing. Having full day access to 20 acres of pasture doesn't make them "pastured", those birds are often in "tractors" on a pasture rather than in a coop. The tractor is moved daily to the next patch of pasture.

I work from home and check on my ladies about once an hour.
I applaud you for checking on them but have a warning. If a fox can get in, it takes maybe 10-15 seconds for it to snag a hen. When I had 6" field fence a fox came through it in broad daylight and snagged my best layer, a White Rock, right behind the barn. I found only a trail of feathers.

Later that day as I was coming out of the barn the chickens came running with a fox right behind. The fact that I happened to be there RIGHT at that time saved another from being taken. By the time I got through the gate, a mere 5' from the barn door, and out 10' to see where the fox was it had made it 150', through the fence and was standing on the road that runs up the hill beside our property. After that the fence was "amended" with 2x4 knotted wire fence.

I had no idea that a fox can get through a space smaller than 5". A coon can get through much smaller spaces .... but not 2x4 :)

Yes ;) The legal definition of "free range" is only that they have access to the outside, they don't actually have to go outside. It doesn't say anything about how much space nor length of time. The "outside" could be a 2 sq ft concrete pad with the door open 5 minutes a day. In fact, anyone who has a run outside a building is raising "free range" chickens since they aren't confined to a building full time.

There really is no legal description for what many here are doing. Having full day access to 20 acres of pasture doesn't make them "pastured", those birds are often in "tractors" on a pasture rather than in a coop. The tractor is moved daily to the next patch of pasture.

I applaud you for checking on them but have a warning. If a fox can get in, it takes maybe 10-15 seconds for it to snag a hen. When I had 6" field fence a fox came through it in broad daylight and snagged my best layer, a White Rock, right behind the barn. I found only a trail of feathers.

Later that day as I was coming out of the barn the chickens came running with a fox right behind. The fact that I happened to be there RIGHT at that time saved another from being taken. By the time I got through the gate, a mere 5' from the barn door, and out 10' to see where the fox was it had made it 150', through the fence and was standing on the road that runs up the hill beside our property. After that the fence was "amended" with 2x4 knotted wire fence.

I had no idea that a fox can get through a space smaller than 5". A coon can get through much smaller spaces .... but not 2x4 :)
No part of my property is fenced, except the side that connects to the cattle pasture next door. I know being home doesn't guarantee no predators. I am raising a rooster now for alerting me, but I also have several very loud hens that tend to yell if they see anything out of the ordinary. My dogs also go out often and patrol the yard. I'm planning on getting goats next year, too. I'm sure eventually we will see losses, but I love having them out to forage so we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm struggling with those answers still, will put up the (easier to imagine answers for) flock composition (age/gender) poll first. and I admit, I didn't think my woods would provide the benefit to my birds that they do. On a nutrition/sq ft basis, its much, much less efficient thann my pasture, but its not nothing. and of course there are seasonal spikes in value, when the acorns drop and the ducks eat so many they change the yolk color from golden orange to a rather unattractive green!
Do you have any mulberry trees there? I find them to be the most valuable forage I have here. My chickens eat massive amounts of mulberries. They come out the pop door in the morning and run right past the pellets and straight down to the mulberry trees.

Do you have any mulberry trees there? I find them to be the most valuable forage I have here. My chickens eat massive amounts of mulberries. They come out the pop door in the morning and run right past the pellets and straight down to the mulberry trees.
French Mulberry/American Beautyberry - not yet in season. But we are detouring... (one of the things I normally love about BYC - and am frequently guilty of instigating). But maybe not here.

I don't know what all you have planned for the other polls,but I wonder how many people that free range have a dog of some sort for predator protection.But I guess that's not related to nutrition.
Right now the plans are (loosely):
How do you contain your birds (this poll)

What is your flock composition (gender, age)

What is your range (pasture, wooded, "garden", feed crop) and how diverse is it (substantially all grasses, all grains, all "fruits and veggies" (i.e. garden), trees (silviculture), legumes and pulses? (clovers, field peas, vetch, etc), inadvertant mix of two or three? deliberate mix of at least three?) As you can infer, I'm really struggling with this one.

and possibly, "how many seasons/months" does your range demonstrate peak production? (just started thinking about this one. "Peak" is a problem word, particularly for people who have different "crops" coming into ripeness at different times)

and possibly, "how many seasons/months" does your range demonstrate peak production? (just started thinking about this one. "Peak" is a problem word, particularly for people who have different "crops" coming into ripeness at different times)
Maybe "how many seasons/months is your range largely dormant?"

Back
Top Bottom