Feed Management Methods [Poll]

How do you keep your Flock???

• Total voters
The last house we sold had a .29 acre lot. Our current house has 10.1 acres. The zoning where we live is based on density, not lot size. You could have a subdivision zoned for 5 acre density, but the lots themselves could be 1/2 acre with 4.5 acres of common space. So, odd-sized lots is not uncommon!

that's "wierd". and quite unusual in US zoning, where maximum density is often associated with minimum lot sizes - but w/i a subdivion (partucularly more modern subdivisions) many of those rules are more "flexible".

I have a coop that is large enough for 25 ‘heavy’ breed chickens, but currently only have 12. The coop is enclosed on two sides inside the roofed run that is also large enough for 25 birds. All is wired with ¼ inch hardware cloth (we call it the Chicken Palace :D). Until two months ago my flock of four 6 year old hens and eight pullets/cockerel were kept exclusively in this enclosed space for safety. The predator exclusion fence I had wanted for years was finally completed in March, and ‘secure’ enough to allow them access by April. When the weather is agreeable and I am at home, the run door is open from morning to sunset, but with the hot temps here in TX., I shut them into their run around mid-day because they have a rudimentary evaporative cooling system of water pots, wet dirt and ceiling fans that make it a little bit less brutal for them. Forage here is sub-par, so I supplement their feed with fresh greens or veggie scraps and in the heat they get frozen watermelon on occasion. My chickens are treated very humanely, but I wouldn’t put them in the ‘pet’ category. Hope this info helps! :frow

but with the hot temps here in TX., I shut them into their run around mid-day because they have a rudimentary evaporative cooling system of water pots, wet dirt and ceiling fans that make it a little bit less brutal for them.
Why is it necessary to lock them in? They will go wherever they are more comfortable which likely is the run with all the amenities.

I got my 7 chickens in April 2022. We have 2 acres. I had every intention of keeping them behind metal cloth their whole lives as you can see from my earliest posts. We started letting them out of the run only when we were right there. They were so happy when they free ranged. Little by little they were let out more and more. Now their run gate is open all day they're all over our our back.5 acres unattended until they come in at dusk.
Things change. I remember letting my kids do things that I thought I'd never allow.
These are some happy, friendly chickens.

I should specify that I have never had chickens in the winter. I'm in Ohio. I do not know what to expect. My coop is in my garage with a door to let them out. Since my workshop is in the garage, and I wanted to spend time with them, I figured it was the best place.
What happens to free ranging when it snows and what adjustments do I need to make?

What happens to free ranging when it snows and what adjustments do I need to make?
It depends on the chickens, but a lot of them sit inside and stare at the snow, because they don't want to get cold feet by walking in it.

Some chickens do walk in the snow anyway, but they are not going to find any useful amount of food when it's buried in snow. If some places are free of snow, they might find stuff there (under an evergreen tree, inside a barn, etc.)

Some people shovel snow or put something on top of it (hay, straw, wood shavings, etc.) just so the chickens will come out and get exercise, but that doesn't really provide food for them.

If you already provide a complete chicken food, free-choice, you can just keep doing that in the winter. Make sure they have enough water, either by using a heated waterer, or carrying fresh water several times each day. The chickens may eat some snow, but you should not count on them getting any useful amount of water from it. Snow is mostly air, with only a little actual water in those fluffy crystals, and it takes a lot of body heat to melt it.

It depends on the chickens, but a lot of them sit inside and stare at the snow, because they don't want to get cold feet by walking in it.

Some chickens do walk in the snow anyway, but they are not going to find any useful amount of food when it's buried in snow. If some places are free of snow, they might find stuff there (under an evergreen tree, inside a barn, etc.)

Some people shovel snow or put something on top of it (hay, straw, wood shavings, etc.) just so the chickens will come out and get exercise, but that doesn't really provide food for them.

If you already provide a complete chicken food, free-choice, you can just keep doing that in the winter. Make sure they have enough water, either by using a heated waterer, or carrying fresh water several times each day. The chickens may eat some snow, but you should not count on them getting any useful amount of water from it. Snow is mostly air, with only a little actual water in those fluffy crystals, and it takes a lot of body heat to melt it.
Thanks. Their coop is inside my garage and should be plenty warm enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom