Feed molding in galvanized trash cans

I noticed today the feed had a smell and I dumped it in a trash bag to be safe and it was very moist/moldy on the bottom. I read around on here to see what you guys use as a container and it seems like everyone else uses the galvanized trash cans as well. Any advice?

I would like to continue to use them so I dont have to spend more money. They have been stored just outside the coop so completely outdoors. If I keep them in a building and line it with a trash bag, would that do the trick? I dont know if a trashbag would make it better or worse...

The reason your feed is wet is most likely because the handle on top is sealed and the handle on the side of the can are not sealed.when it rains it goes in through the seam.

I store feed in galvanized trash cans, and keep them off the ground ( using 2x4's on top of bricks) to prevent molding. Besides, I use some plastic sheets around handles to prevent water from getting inside trash cans.
I do the same. The end of my steel roof covered 10x30 run is used for layer feed storage in eight 20 gal cans 100lb each on 2x4s as risers. And, each spring I fill 8 more cans for my broiler feed. I have 2 cans of layer pellet feed outdoors exposed to elements and have them on steel shelving off the ground to keep the bottoms dry. Never had a problem and galvanized steel keeps rats out of the feed. Plastic/resin anything is no match for a rat.

We use metal garbage cans, up on bricks, with the feed still in the bags from the manufacturer. There's an empty feed bag on the bottom of each can, again, so the feed stays dry. Our coop is big enough to have the cans inside, so they aren't rained on, and stay dry. Also, a feed bag is cut to be over each lid, and replaced when it gets nasty, with the chickens sometimes sitting on top of the can.
We want to use feed within two months of it's mill date, so we don't buy more than tree bags of feed at a time for our flock.
Mary

Metal containers will sweat with wide temperature variations. The lid or upper sides of the galvanized steel container will cool down quicker than the sides that are in contact with the feed that is a good insulator and the water inside the container condenses on the cool surfaces. Once I put a new metal roof on a finishing room and we dealt with constant "rain drops" on the furniture we were trying to finish until I insulated the roof on the underside.

Might try wrapping the galvanized container with something to keep it the same temperature as the feed inside and drape a blanket over the lid. Or install a small low wattage bulb inside the barrel/drum to prevent the condensation.

A [health-type] food store where I live gives away containers, including plastic 5 gallon buckets, which hold half of a 50-lb. bag of feed. The plastic lids can be a little hard to pry off in cold weather but it's not really a problem. They are very air- and water-tight and thick enough to deter gnawing rodents.
For shorter-term storage, I use 2--gallon buckets from the same place (that formerly contained olives and other foods). They are a bit thinner gauge but I have never had rodents gnaw through them. They come with convenient, watertight, snap-on lids in several different colors, which are good for color-coding different kinds of feed.

Hi there,
Personally, I use a large plastic tote box. It is not completely air tight but seems to work better than galvanized for me. I had the same problem as you have. Plastic is not ideal for huge quantities of feed, but a 50lb. bag keeps nicely for several weeks. Sue
What about using a metal trash can?

Back
Top Bottom