feed price's

$9.50 a 50 lb. Local mill, as they grind their own. It is a Hubbard Mill and the feed is great. Gave up on the Purina at TSC and similar awhile back. I'd have had to sell off the flock, perhaps just keeping a handful for our personal use if I had to pay rural lifestyle store prices for shipped in, fancy bagged feeds.

Prices around here range from $18 a bag to $15 a bag for grower. They blame it on the drought, the floods, you name it. I suspect there is price gouging going on. Odd when a small feed store can sell it for $14.50 a bag yet a large one has to charge $18.

Let's use the price of corn as an index. $8 a bushel or 56 lbs. Soybeans $13 a bushel or 60 lbs. Add a mineral and vitamin pak and you have a good idea what the raw materials are for a hundred pounds of non-organic feed. If you are close to the source or local corn/soybeans, your price per 50 lbs of feed should be $10.

Paying $17-$20 for a 50 lb bag means you are paying a huge premium for the trucking, diesel fuel, handling, processing, bagging, marketing, multi-levels of profit, etc. That's the price you pay for being too far from the source of the basic ingredients.

Quote:
Or maybe with the crackdown on illegal immigration, they have to pay the guy who sweeps up at the mill more, so the price of those "grain by-products" goes up.
wink.png

Sounds to me like somebody is doing the best they can to stop the little eggs producer out. Buy those things at the store they call eggs. I guess we'll end up going to just whatever we can feed and have our own eggs like 100 years ago. If we have some extra to let go then so much the better.

My layer feed is $12 for 50 lbs. The scratch is $15 for 50 lbs. It does help that mine range all day. But this scratch I'm using they have gone nuts over. So much more than the stuff I was using from TSC. It's formulated over in Alabama. These chickens absolutely love it. The stuff for Purnia they would pick at it and gone on about their business. This scratch they stay at it till it's all gone.

It's no doubt a large part of the cost is transportation. Diesel here is $3.79. That's nearly $2.00 more than 3 years ago. Wonder what happened 3 years ago that would have caused so many item prices to increase? I wonder.

Fred's Hens :

Let's use the price of corn as an index. $8 a bushel or 56 lbs. Soybeans $13 a bushel or 60 lbs. Add a mineral and vitamin pak and you have a good idea what the raw materials are for a hundred pounds of non-organic feed. If you are close to the source or local corn/soybeans, your price per 50 lbs of feed should be $10.

Paying $17-$20 for a 50 lb bag means you are paying a huge premium for the trucking, diesel fuel, handling, processing, bagging, marketing, multi-levels of profit, etc. That's the price you pay for being too far from the source of the basic ingredients.

+1. When I used to buy a certain national brand, I started wondering how much of the purchase price was going toward ads telling me how wonderful their feed was.

But those bags shore was purty!​

Up north here in canada (newfoundland i will note its a little cheaper in other provinces) it runs about 17-20 dollars a bag thats 25kg=55lbs. This price has nearly doubled in the last 10 years from what it normally was. I used to pay this same price for 40 kg = 88lbs bags back then. These prices are about the same if its layer or grower etc. I hate to see what another 10 years brings us.

Last edited:
We are currently using Purina Layena pellets and shelf price is 14.49, but I get coupons in the mail regularly from Purina for 3.00 off per bag so paying 11.49. No local mill around these parts so it is the feed store or bust....

With 40 hens and selling eggs at 2.50 a dozen we make feed and supplies easily with cash left over every month.

Fred's Hens :

Common ingredient feed companies use is soybean meal which is less expensive then soybean since the soybean have already been used to make vegetable oil.

Your grain prices seem a little high for corn:

Our local cash prices this morning are: http://www.trupointe.com/grain/cash-bids/
Corn
: 6.17
Soybean: 11.42
Wheat: 5.61

I'm not sure what the price if meal is today but it's pretty inexpensive where we get it.

This paper has a lot of detail on soybeans, history usage, etc...

http://www.soyatech.com/userfiles/file/tradeflow_manual(1).pdf

All that said, you can get fresh milled feed for about 1/2 the price of the bagged feed in the stores.​

Back
Top Bottom